Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy

Showing 1 response by loju2009

Just received my PS1 (model 1001) purchased from Ebay. This thing does sound good. I'm using the supplied cheap RCA interconnects. Being too careful, I was reluctant to hook it up to my Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 tube integrated amp. So, I hooked it up to my Denon 1908 receiver. Wow! Right away there was a huge difference. I demonstrated to the wife - in a blind test - the PS1 vs PS3 and there was no contest. PS3 on by a technical knockout, lol. She was impressed. I'm going to let it undergo proper break-in for the next several hours before I experience it in my tube amp.

Planned upgrades: I'm not into mods, but I'll upgrade the power cord to PS Audio C7 or Furutech G-320Ag-18F8 power cable. Replace the cheap RCA interconnects with audiophile ones. I've read somewhere that upgrading the fuse also helps. I'm considering the Isoclean fuses. This should further improve this amazing CD player. To be honest, its made my Vinyl sound weak!