Sonus Faber Extremas ?

For owners or anyone who's heard them, what are some good choices for amplification?

Thanks all
wrj_togs

Showing 5 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

I don't want to dominate this thread,but,if anyone "really" wants to hear these wonderful speakers,they MUST have a good "add-on" super tweeter.Like the Townshends,or some of the other offerings on the market(MURATA?).It makes a significant impact on performance.Unless you only care about the looks -:)
Best!
I'm willing to bet one reason for the discontinuation was difficult load.Many Euro hobbyists like low powered tube stuff(great,btw)and that is a NO-NO with the Extremas!Did I say that these speakers are Gorgeous,and Unique looking???
There was a nice,used,pair available about two months ago.In mint condition.I was hoping my friend would pick them up,as he has a wonderful amp,for matching.The Rowland 8T.He passed.His loss!!
Best!
Sorry,I forgot to mention that the Extremas have the "LOOK" and build quality that screams out "If you ever sell me,you are nuts"!!They have a gorgeous look to them that states "Heirloom" quality.The build seems like it is absolutely exemplary,and it is stunningly beautiful to look at.In the "KEEPER FOR LIFE" class with,Quad 57's,Original Rogers LS35a's,Jadis Eurithmy's,Avalon Ascent mk-2s,and some(few)others.
I don't own these Sonus designs,btw,but can appreciate them nevertheless!
Best!
The Townshend super tweeters(really SUPER,btw)hook up with it's own cable,to the speaker binding post,or amp posts.Really easy!The thing I like about these is that it sits "low" on top of the speaker,and is very close to the original(somewhat rolled off)tweeter.This allows a great blend.The Townshends are,also,"tiny" and do not take away from the overall gorgeous look of the Extremas.Some of the other super tweets are set higher in their enclosure,and may not blend as well as the fabulous Townshends.
Best!
I heard these "amazing" speakers in a set up running 100 wpc tubes.Forgot the mfgr.,though!
My point is that these speakers amazed me with their huge stage presentation,and dynamics.Very fine timbres,which are critical,to me!
One very important point,though.The owner had added the wonderful Townshend Super Tweeters to these speakers.The difference was simply AMAZING.Much better air and detailing.To me,a MUST with these great designs,which take on a new dimension with the add on tweeters.BTW,this makes sense,as the stock tweeters roll off at about 17khz.
The Townnshends simply start just above that point,and the integration was superb,yielding some of the best highs I've experienced.
Just my two cents.