SONIC FRONTIERS LINE 3...TUBES & CAPS upgrade

Hi guys
I have my first tube preamp in my room and was wondering what tubes (crucial area only) and caps you have tried...also where you got them from..
I have been in touch with Chris Johnson of Parts Express on his super duper upgrade as he is a hour away from work but im in Canada and he wants to charge $60/hr and taxes in USD... Not gonna fly in my house.. besides I have my own tech.
He uses V caps ($$$$) but was curious about Mundorf maybe or????
Also what tubes you found that were smooth..
Not sure all the sources for these items.
I use Mark levinson ml series amps with my awesome ATC super mids and SS 7100 tweeter and have a fully recapped KRELL FPB 600 running all my lows..
Any experiences and help appreciated. ...
Thanks
mclsound

Showing 7 responses by zd542

"I have been in touch with Chris Johnson of Parts Express on his super duper upgrade as he is a hour away from work but im in Canada and he wants to charge $60/hr and taxes in USD... Not gonna fly in my house.. besides I have my own tech."

I don't think his price is too bad. Not only that, he's probably the most qualified person to work on your preamp. I would see if he can give you a total number of hours before he does the job, and then make a decision.
Here's another option that may work for you. I would call The Cable Company and see what they think. I bought my SF preamp from them and they offered different upgrade packages, along with stock units. You'll get good advice and they have one of the best reputations in the industry. They always sell you what's in your best interest.
"12-27-14: Joecasey

Also, aside from you, I would like to see how many people will disagree with me on this.

ME. Government wasted enough money so NEVER a good idea give them more. Idiot!"

That's what you took away from reading my post and you're calling me an idiot. You need to find someone to re-read the post to you and explain what it means.
"45% of his parts have nothing to do with the SQ"

What parts are you talking about?
"12-25-14: Mclsound
Lol
Yes that may have sounded confusing. ..
I can pick up a line 3 at 1/3 the cost of the VAC and maybe slip in a thousand dollars in caps, tubes and a few other parts to smoothen out the top....the $1000 in upgrades is equal to the money lost in taxes/exchange rate alone...
I would rather do that then give my money to the government and banks. ."

I don't think I've ever said anything like this before, but the money would be better off going to the government. You're willing to buy a discontinued preamp that you don't really care for how it sounds, buy a thousand dollars in parts, have it modified by someone less qualified to save a small amount of money, all in the hopes of smoothing out the top end? Your chance of success here is pretty slim. I know you won't listen to reason, but if you were to just spend more money on a preamp you like, factor in the exchange rate and pay the extra taxes, there's a 99.9% chance you'll actually spend less money and get a better sounding preamp.

Before you take offence and come back with some type of reply, take into account that you did come here and ask for advice. My post is just my honest opinion and is not meant to be an insult. Also, aside from you, I would like to see how many people will disagree with me on this.
"ZD542...NO OFFENSE but my original question was ""What tubes & caps have been tried""... I just stated that I am not using CJ and you insist otherwise.."

No offence taken, and yes I did go off topic. That said, I think my post was relevant because that's the best answer I could give based on your info. I only meant it as another option that you may want to consider.

I don't recall if anyone already brought this up, but if you can't afford a VAC, there's still some great options out there from other companies. It might be worthwhile to look into it.