Solid State to replace Audio Research REF110?

Hello,

My power amp REF110 blew resistors and damage PCB (it is the second time), in the pass my VT100 MKIII also damage the PCB had to replace it.
I like REF110 sound but I think I should move to a more reliable solid state power amp.

Which power amplifier do you recommend to substitute Audio Research REF110 without have to regret every day?

Many thanks for the advice.
jglpubli

Showing 2 responses by david12

That's a tough one, if your a tube fan, as I am and probably you are too. I find it very hard to find a SS amp that has the speed matched to transparency and lack of grain you seem to get with tubes.

In my limited experience you need to go Class A in SS to get these charectaristics and I have always been a Pass fan, so I would say one of the Pass Class A amps or monoblocks, that meets your speakers power requirements. The only other SS amps that have really done it for me, are integrated amps, the Lavardin IT and Dartzeel integrated. Both had a lovely fast detailed sound without harshness.
I must say, I find these concerns re ARC reliability and matching Pre amps, a concern. I have just bought a Ref 75 and am matching it with what is effectively, a Music First Baby reference, though it is a clone. I have to say I am very happy with the result. The dealer bought a Ref 3 ARC pre when he set up the amp and on a very brief audition, I preferered my passive Pre.

I used the Passive because HiFi+ back a few years ago, liked the Ref 75 with Music First, but as someone has said, reviewrs do'nt keep amps long enough to judge reliabilty.