So what sub are you using for your Home theater?

I would like to know whats sub or subs your using in your Home Theater system and why?I'm always in search of the fastest,lowest,and deepest sub out there?Any takers??Please no boomers.....
thxrich

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Thxrich":

I don't have a sub hooked up to my home theater right at the moment.

However...... I am looking at adding either a JM Labs Sib/Cub System or a Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 System sometime over the next year or so. Whichever one I end up selecting will be paired to a Yamaha RX-V740 Audio/Video Receiver (which I will be buying in September or October).

This system is going to be used in a small sized, squared bedroom that is furninshed to the max. So to me, the size and performance of the sub will become major issues to me. I am going to be looking at a small and compact sub that can give me the most bass for the size (without making it overbearing or overpowering to the point of where I cannot turn up the system high enough, which will then hender my ability to enjoy movies). And since the sub is going to be small (no matter what), then cost won't be a major issue either (the expected cost of my sub will be in the neighborhood of $600.00 to about $850.00). I am looking to strike a medium between 20 Hz. and about 35 Hz.. For the room I am talking about using it in, I think that about the mid 20's to about the low 30's would be ideal.

So then, with those parameters in mind, the system I am leaning most toward right now is the Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 which features a ProSub 60 Powered Subwoofer. The ProSub 60 features an 8" Woofer that is driven by an internal 150 Watt Power Amplifier with binding posts on the back of the sub. I am looking for this sub to give me a satisfying amount of boom given its size, but be fast, go deep and go very low when the signals embedded in the movie soundtracks call for it. In short, when I fire up Apollo 13 or Diehard # 1, I want to feel like I am either in that spaceship, or at the scene when John McClain blows up that tower and kill all of those terrorists.

And at a price of just $700.00 (for the whole speaker system) plus about $600.00 more for the Yamaha RX-V740 that I plan to buy this fall, I will then be a flat screen television (be it plasma, LCD, DLP or LCoS..... and that will be decided upon when the dust is settled, a standard is decided, and when the reliability, reparbility and technological issues are settled and the prices drop to $2,000.00 or below) and a progressive scan or a HD-DVD player away from having a killer of a home theater setup.

I plan to use two subs in my audio system however. When selecting those subs, I am going to striving for definition and musical accuracy over power and slam.

But that's another issue entirely.

Until then...........

--Charles--