SME 309 vs SME IV - sonic differences?

Hi - I would like to learn from the experts about the sonic differences of this two arms - I have read all the specifications from both of them regarding the bearing tolerances, materials, etc... but... what is the bottom line regarding sonics?

Thanks for sharing your experience, I would like to take a decision for my arm replacement.

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 2 responses by jfrech

Stereophile did a review a while back. I believe Fremer compared the 310 arm on a SME 10 table. I think it's posted on their website. Look under turntables...He did notice in improvement between the 310 and the IV.Vi.

The IV.Vi has a few differences over the IV you are asking about. The IV.Vi has the same abec bearings as a SME V and different internal wiring from a 309 or a V. The IV.Vi uses Magnan copper ribbon wire internally. Also the IV.Vi has the damping trough as standard, option on the 309 series.

I use a IV.Vi, it's a damn good arm. I am sure a Graham or Triplanar are better, but more $$'s.

Looking at your system, I'd try and go for a IV.Vi or a V. No use skimping here. Not sure what arm you have right now. Also, if you have a 309 today (I am guessing here) have you tried better arm cables? They make a huge difference on SME arms. Whether it's a 309 or a IV, V...
Hi, In post above, I meant to say arm "cable" in my last paragraph.

"Not sure what arm you have right now. Also, if you have a 309 today (I am guessing here) have you tried better arm cables?"

WBS: you might be right, yes, my IV.Vi came on my SME 20/2 table. Sorry