SME 309 or SME 3009r?

I have both arms. My turntable is an Avid Sequel. My cartridge is a Benz LP. I want to rewire one of the arms, but don't know which would sound best. I currently have the 309 on the table so I know how that one performs. I've had the 3009r for quite sometime just sitting on a shelf. It's in terrific shape and the person who gave it to me, and has since passed away, thought it would outperform the 309. Does anyone have an informed opinion? Thanks.

128x128neptune123

Showing 2 responses by neptune123

Dover, thanks for taking the time and effort to offer an informed and well-measured opinion. 

Hey all - let's be clear. The 3009 is not the 3009r. I don't recall exactly, but the r stands for revised, renewed or replacement. It's not your pedestrian 3009. Look online and you'll see the 3009r being sold for upwards of $2,000 while the 3009 is less than half that price. They're two different animals. Still, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to rewire the 309, not the 3009r. And then I'll sell off the 3009r.  Someone else can rewire it to see if it sings, or not.