SME 20/3 or Oracle Delphi VI or Garrard 301

I am just about to buy a new table. I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years! Choices are the new 20/3, Oracle Delphi VI or possibly a rebuilt Garrard 301. They all run about the same money.
The reviews and comments out there lead me to believe I will be better off using a non SME arm on the 20/3...I will probably go with a Graham Phantom. (I like the removable arm tube concept too) For now I will use my SME IV.
keep reading the SME detractors claim that the tables are lifeless. Not something you can accuse a Delphi of for sure. The HiFi News reviews of both tables are nothing short of glowing. As far as I can tell the Oracle is possibly more nimble and musical(?) while the SME is more "solid".
Your thoughts are welcom
mauidj

Showing 10 responses by dover

Agree with Syntax, SME will be around forever to service this ( their main business is military equipment ), and with the new power supply/thicker chassis etc this is the bargain of the SME line. In many ways the SME IV is a better arm now that it has the same bearings as the V, but no damping/VTA whilst playing mechanisms that muddy the sound. I recall that Bob Graham used an SME 30 for a long time so I would be confidant the Graham is a good match.
SME IV bearings- not sure when they changed to the same as the V but read it in a recent review ( possibly a review of the 20/3). I suspect it is relatively recent, but check with SME directly. Their aftermarket service support is excellent. If I was buying an SME arm I'd probably get the SME IV and rewired cartridge to phono with one run of Cardas. I believe SME will rewire these for you with any wire you want if you provide it.
Mauidj - I would go for the 20/3 as it will give you a wider choice of arms/cartridges. Check out the improvements to the 20/3 as they may not be in the 20/12 yet. I think the extra money spent on arm/cartridge for the 20/3 will give you a better outcome.
Mauidj - Despite a late rally for the Oracle by some, I've owned an Oracle with Zeta/Koetsu/custom power supply - loved it, but as soon as you put a piano piece on the wow became unlistenable. I think the SME 20/3 is in a different league. Buy the best you can afford, it saves money in the long run. PS I dont own an SME and have no bias. I own a Final Audio Parthenon - think top Micro Seiki behemoth on steroids but have a lot of respect for the SME.
Dev, I owned an Oracle, own a 301, and heard the SME. Actually I was being kind - I KNOW the SME is in a different league to the Oracle. It is not a plug for my turntable - I dont own an SME if you read my post properly.
Dev - that's what forums are for, my turntable inclusion in the post was to provide context to my ( subjective ) opinion. I have no interest in plugging it, my turntable is not for sale. I have no interest in SME other than I believe it is the best of the turntables that Mauidj has ask for members' views. My subjective opinion is based on hearing the 3 decks in known systems. With regard to Oracle - what is not subjective is the number of times they have been in and out of business.
I had an Oracle for 15 years from the late eighties. 10 of those years it sat in a cupboard because I could not get drive belts. I was advised that the company had closed. Eventually I purchased a stash of NOS belts and sold it off. I actually liked the turntable, I used it with both an ET2/Carnegie and a Zeta/Koetsu. I preferred my Sota Star/ET2/Carnegie that I also owned - better timing and pitch stability as ridiculous as that may seem. Since then I have gone to a heavy platter/non suspended tt and this is the most stable for me. I also own Garrard 301 and 401 for fun.
In_shore,

Well said. You managed to sum up my thoughts in one succinct sentence.
Thank you.
Dev,

Please read the following comments from Stereophile :
Stereophile Posted: Aug 27, 2008 • Published: May 1, 1986 Anthony Cordesman
"Earlier Delphi motors were noisy or had quality-control problems. Some had audible long-term wow."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/oracle-delphi-turntable-mf-delphi-mkv-part-2
Michael Fremer -
"Between 1986 and the demise of the original Oracle company in 1994, another 6000 Mk.IIIs and Mk.IVs were built.

As you can see the original Oracle company closed in 1994, and many owners were left with no support. If you read the articles most of the spare parts were thrown away.

By the way
Rediculous is spelt ridiculous
Snyd is spelt snide

and the answer to your question "oh my how do you spell looser" is loser, with one "o".
Mauidj,

You have mentioned several times the Raven AC3 . Another suggestion would be to buy the Raven AC1 and mount your current arm/cartridge on it. This keeps your initial cost down and allows you to do further upgrades over time without having to restart again.