Slow upgrade from integrated - pre or power first?

I have a Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated amp. I would like to upgrade to a pre-amp (probably Modwright SWL 9.0SE) and power amp (likely Musical Fidelity A308CR). Financial constraints dictate one upgrade at a time. I can use the integrated as either a pre-amp or power amp. Which should I buy first, the pre-amp or the power amp, and why? The rest of the system is a Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD player and Gallo Reference 3 speakers. Thanks for any help.

Tim
smorkinlabbit
i don't see a huge sonic benefit from either change unless you just need more power. in that case get the amp
Sorry I never answered your question and filled your thread with my agenda. Go with the Preamp, absolutely, before the power amp. It (forgetting power, and assumming that is not your problem) will yield dramatic sonic benefits to your rig, particularly if you go with the Modwright. If I were to own separates that would be the pre I would go with. Dan is a great guy: Listening wise, I have no experience with his preamp, but I know enough audiophools who own one, that are very happy campers.

I finally sold my Passion and am waiting on an Audion Sterling MKI with British vintage Gold Lion tubes. Should be a match made in heaven with my new speakers. Hopefully.
Warren: No problem, my thread is your thread. I spoke with Dan about the Modwright two days ago. He was very patient and knowledgeable. I will probably be ordering one soon. Thanks for your help.

Tim