Sim W-5 vs Pass X250 / X350 with Dyn C-4

Has anyone used a Pass Labs X250 or X350 with the Confidence series of Dynaudio speakers?

I currently have a Simaudio W-5 driving my C4's. On occasion with 2-channel music, where I run the speakers full range, it seems to possibly run just a tad short of punch and I was considering a more powerful amplifier and was looking at the Pass Lab X250 or X350. For movies I have never noticed any shortness of punch, but for movies I run the C-4's crossed over at 40 Hz and the lower end routed to the sub.

I would love to move to the Simaudio W-8 or a pair of W-6, but the cost, even for a used unit, is beyond what I want to pay.

The thing I like is the Simaudio W-5 mates well with my Simaudio Titan that is driving the center speaker (Confidence Center) for movies and I might not get that match with a Pass Labs unit. It also drives the surrounds and rears.

Any thoughts or experience on the mattter would be beneficial to my decision.

Current System:
Preamp/processor - Anthem Statement D2v
CD Player - Arcam CD192
DVD Player - Denon 5900
Preamp/Amp Interconnects - Balanced - Canare
Speaker Wire - Kimber 8TC for fronts
cyclonemike

Showing 1 response by gundam91

My friend has the X350.5 with his C-4. He was using the ML432 prior. Then he heard my X350.5, not even fully broken in at the time, and bought one within a week.

I've only heard Sim Audio at a dealer here in San Francisco. Different setup, different room. But I agree with Pdreher that they sounded dry, edgy, and "solid state".

My friend has been playing with his pair of C4s for at least two years. His biggest complaint is that these are finicky regarding placement, most noticeable with the bass region. So I am not sure if it is due to the speakers or his room. But I do like the sound of his C4s with the X350.5/ARC Ref 3/PH-7/Clearaudio anniversary/Audio Aero CDP.

I had heard the X350 and X350.5 side-by-side at another friend's place before I purchased mine. There is a big difference between the X350 and X350.5. The X.5 series has more of the midrange magic similar to the old Aleph series. The non X.5 series sounded cold and "solid-state" like.

FrankC