Should I steer clear of class D amps

I’m finally upgrading my amp. I currently have an Onkyo TXNR 636 which has served very well but it’s now the weakest component in my system.

I’ve a budget of up to £1200-£1300 and been looking at the NAD C3050.

I was initially drawn to the NAD C3050 when I saw the VU meters but these are not deal breakers if I can get a much better amp without them, but I really do like them. I spoke with a dealer and he mentioned all NAD amplifiers are now class D and that’s now where I’m stuck procrastinating my purchase. My understanding was class D never really took off, despite the power efficiency due to the HF noise caused by the PWM. Times change things improve but I can’t find much about how they have mitigated this, in fact an article in EETimes refers to how the tests performed for THD etc are quite irrelevant in a digital amp and quoted figures may be very different in real life. In essence, the way of testing makes them look better than they are. This may be true but do they sound good? We all know vinyl is technically an inferior medium but I certainly prefer it’s sound.

I am listening to classic/ heavy rock and a mixture of lossless streaming from a NAS into a Cambridge Audio CNX V2 and vinyl off a Technics 1500C with a Pro-Ject DS phono stage all into monitor audio bronze 5s. 

I need a new amp. I need slapping out of my indecision but it’s not an insignificant amount of £££ and I want to get it right. Should I stick with AB ? My electric bill can’t withstand class A or valve regardless of sound quality. 

Also what’s the thoughts on NAD in general, I’m my youth they were good amps, but then so were Pioneer. 

nosleeptilldownload

I too have owned quite a few class D amps over the decades, including the PS Audio M700s, which were decent but not enough umph for my big room. The 2 that remain are the EVS 1200 dual mono single chassis amp, a Ric Schultz (Tweak Audio) effort based on dual IcePower AS 1200 modules, (same modules as PS Audio uses in their M1200s) but with a ton of his pixie dust sprinkled throughout. I also have a LSA Voyager Gan350 (dual mono GaN fet boards) that I preferred at the time, but when reconfiguring my rack from vertical to horizontal I managed to take out a module and have not yet gotten it fixed, but the 1200 sounds so incredible after a complete cable change that I am quite content, for now

hth

Class D amps need a tube preamp or a solid state Class A input stage that adds 2nd order harmonic distortion to the signal. Linear power supplies can also add 2nd order harmonic distortion. 

These statements are false. I can imagine some amps (regardless of class of operation) for which adding a tube preamp or the like is the band-aid needed for their dryness. But if the amplifier is properly designed it needs nothing of the sort. The second statement is just- wrong.

Late to the party, as usual (sigh).

I bought an NAD 3050 and it arrived a few weeks ago. Sonically, it is much better than my C325 BEE and C356 BEE in "categories."

That is to say, a much better reproduction of the high frequencies, lower distortion, more transparent, etc., etc, etc.

BUT.

I noticed that voices do not sound as "magical" as they do on the C325 (aided by the Center Stage 2Ms). I can’t explain why, but they just don’t. I had recently bought the Critical Mass Center Stage footers, which are pretty dazzling (and I’ve had considerable experience with footers, going back to 1999). On the 325 (with the CD player sitting on the Center Stage 2Ms), singers (and I mean only on well-recorded music) have a "see-into" transparency that lets you know how the singer is marshalling his/her breath to create the sounds. I purposely read a comic book (one of my other intense interests) and found myself looking up - involuntarily - at how say, Cleo Laine (a quite famous British jazz singer) sounded. I’ve had the CD (and lp) for 30 years, and as good as it sounded (recorded live in Carnegie Hall in 1973), her voice never truly sounded "alive" the way it did when I heard her live! Not even on Jadis equipment!

But now, with the Center Stage in the system (underneath the Arcam FMJ CD23 CD player) and the 325 sitting on a Townshend Audio Seismic Vibration Platform, I could hear exceptional vibrato, intake of breath (and even though that can be achieved by having an excess in the 1-5k range, this was not that!) of the kind that happens when a singer sings live. My eyes bugged out, and I’ve had the best equipment (Jadis, VAC, Audio Research, VTL, Goldmund, all top of the line back in the 90s) and her voice never sounded like the way it did on the C325 (WITH THE CENTER STAGE 2MS) even on the VAC or Jadis amps (and the rest of the system was far, far superior, and cost-wise, in the 50k range ( back in 1990). In todays dollars, that same system would cost $135k).

Now, granted, this does not mean the staging, or detail was of the highest quality. Only her voice and John Dankworth’s sax (he’s her husband). The sonics went past mere "sound" quality and into the realm of realism.

So, naturally, when I got the 3050, I swapped out the two amps and listened again. Hmmm...her voice doesn’t have that sound that you would have if you were in the mixing booth listening to her sing. Nah, I thought, it must be that the amp’s not broken in. So, I gave it two weeks and still...no cigar.

I have no idea if this is the chipset in the class D 3050 or what, but I prefer the C325 when it comes to voices. If I was only listening to instruments, I might have missed that particular quality, but since I listen to Ella, Frank, and a whole lot of 50s, 60s and 70s bands and singers, it then became hard to miss.

On the other hand, if I was listening to Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, I’m not sure I would have realized the difference between the two amps, so good did the strings sound, the soundstage clearly better with the 3050. But I want "magic" and while the Center Stage 2Ms will take a $600 amp and make it sound closer to a 3k amp (and I’ve had plenty of those), it did NOT do the same thing when I got a second set of the 2ms and put them under the NAD 3050. The 325 won, hands down if voices were involved. You'd have to hear it yourself to understand.

Again, I don’t know if it has anything to to with class D. What I do know is that the 3050 could not best the C325 in the reproduction of voices. That was a surprise, but not exactly: I wondered if the technology (and Nell Gader reviewed it late last year in TAS and loved it) had some kind of weakness on really stellar singers. I could even hear the difference (meaning the Center Stages) on a compilation of a disco era CD. And that on each and every cut. The 3050 sounded quite ordinary.

I’m willing to believe - given it’s a new room - that I might’ve moved a speaker 1/16" too far to the right/left. But clarity and transparency are not the same as "magic".

I sure hope someone else who has the Center Stages tries this experiment: use exceptionally well recorded classical music (I use Mercury Living Presence, Deccas, and RCAs) and then say, Peter, Paul and Mary (Album 1700) or some other very well-recorded singers and finds otherwise.

But the 3050 is going back. It also didn’t help that there is no way to hook up my Nola Thunderbolt subwoofers (I have 2) to the amp. No point in having 2 and only being able to hook up one.

My amp is going to end up being the Aesthetix Mimas, which was my other choice.

I’m sure this is an isolated case where class D and my speakers (Nola Contenders) just are not the motto of the Army: Be All That You Can Be. But there is no magic between speaker and amp in this case. I should point out that Carl, the designer, used tubes with his speakers. But I’ve had 6 different Nolas, and paired them with tube and solid state and it always sounded gorgeous. And voices always sounded true-to-life. Just not this combination.

I’m not advocating against NAD (heaven forefend! I have 4 of their integrateds, all the way back to 2002), or Class D. I am merely appending a warning to hear them in your own system (NOT the dealer’s: YOUR room. YOUR system) and see how it sounds. I’ve not doubt that if Listened to ’80s vinyl or ’90s vinyl (both decades produced the worst vinyl. It would "twang" like a rubber band), I might not have noticed, given how overproduced so many records from those decades are (and one of my jobs was as a DJ back then, so I got a LOT of promotional copies).

Don’t take my word for it. Try it out for yourself. This is just my own experience.

Another option is a teac AP-505 - especially if you like VU metres. class d based on Hypex. 

Teac AP-505

I got a $250 used class D amp, xtz edge a2-300 (they won  a contest for least memorable product name) on ebay and was pleasantly surprised. Given economies of scale, improvements in fets, lower power consumption, and expiring patents, this technology will put enormous pressure on linear amp products, and it will increase market share in serious listeners. I imagine it is ubiquitous in non audiophile systems already for cost reasons.

Any general opinions based on older products are vulnerable to getting out of sync with reality. Mine sure was.