Should I pay 500 to mod my old Mac MR-67 tuner?

I have owned a vintage Mac MR-67 for about a year. It's never been aligned or measured and I called Audio Classics about the process. They offer a full-Monty Richard Modafferi update/mod for $500, and I am about to go ahead and send my tuner in. My question, and only hesitation: should I only be spending this kind of money on a MR-71? Everyone seems to prefer the MR-71 but I've never heard one or compared it to my, or any, MR-67. I don't plan on trying to sell my MR-67 so I'm not really worried about covering my costs. I'm just wondering if I'd be spending too much money on the MR-67 when I should look around and get a MR-71 instead. My MR-67 is in great condition cosmetically, no rust or bubbles or anything.
Thanks for any thoughts from the tuner gurus.
sc53

Showing 1 response by hiwaves

The MR 71 engineering corrected several problems that were inherent in the MR 67 and MR 65 designs. A better use of $500.00 might be to put it towards a mint MR 71. They seem to sell around $750-850 range. However, not all MR 71's are created equal. As in every electronic component there are variations in parts quality (depending on the manufacturer of that specific part) that can have a direct effect on sound quality. Generally the MR 71's are very warm and smooth. Sometimes you will find one that is way above the rest............