Should I buy a Class A Amp.

I would Love to buy a Class A Amp. I have a Sony Tan-80ES Amp right now and I have had it for 19 yrs. To me it sounds Great but I am curious about Class A Amps. Do they really sound better? I am looking at a Krell KSA 200 Amp right now for $2000.00. It is older then my Sony. Is this too much for such an old Amp? Would Love to hear members thoughts on this.  

Blessings, ..........Don.
donplatt
Not all Class A amps sound good, but all of the best sounding amps I have owned have been Class A.

I still run Classe DR3 VHC (105 lbs each, put out about 800 watts into heat when idling, and will drive anything out there (mine used to drive Apogee Scintillas which dropped to 0.7 ohms at some frequencies).  I run a pair of them bridged and a single stereo version (running electrostats, which are good instruments to judge sound quality by) in different systems.

I also run a Belles A, but have gone to Class AB for summer use (older Rowland amp) which also sounds very good and won't heat you out of the room.
There's a downside of having a father who was an electronics engineer, building amps from age 12, and still designing and building them while training for four years as an electronics engineer....

Any amp, any class (a/ab/d) can be good or bad.

Electronic components are inherently non-linear over differing temperature/voltage/current/speaker load conditions, and thus all an engineer can do is compensate for these non-linearities by using all sorts of different techniques.

Class A's tend to be more linear because they reduce the number of non-linear variables in the equation. Friends of mine run 300Wpc Class A amps and frankly, they're probably the answer if you don't mind the heat and the power bill.

Personally, when it comes to amplification, I don't subscribe to "let your ears choose" unless you promise to never say "my amp is better than yours".

The technical purity of any amplifier can be measured. Perhaps start there, and then let your ears or wallet choose.

I have owned a KSA200 since 1990. Incredible amp. If your system is bass challenged look no further. No one builds amps like this anymore.   In 26 years my amp only cost me $350 in repairs. I have paid more to repair an fpb mono with bad caps. Don't listen to the bs about a re-cap. If the unit was kept well vented you will be fine. If it was in a confined rack and could not breathe then that is a different story. 

If it is clean condition, and fins are black, that is a great price, for an amazing amp. 

Carefully check the condition of the amp you are buying. The fins turn more blue with heat and age.  Make sure the color is consistent. Bring a thermometer and measure temp across all 6 cooling fins. This will tell if you have bias issues. If you do it is not the end of the world.  The only issue with these amps and i have seen this on the 80, and the 160, is the small bias transistors used nylon screws to anchor to the internal heat sinks. Once the nylon fails due to heat, the transistor looses it's cool and you can get thermal runaway. Simple repair with a small  stainless nut and bolt. Easy, cheap, assuming all else is good. 

After listening for 5 minutes you will wonder why you did not do this sooner

Don't be afraid to pm me if you have any ?'s.

Enjoy