Shelter 501 Mk II vs. Grado Statement Reference

I currently have a Grado Statement Sonata cartridge mounted on a Michell Tecnodec with Michell-modified Rega RB-250 arm. I am afraid I have upgrade fever and am considering replacing the Sonata with another cartridge. Although I do like my current setup, I am seeking a better soundstage and more airy highs. It's not that the Sonata is a bad cartridge in my application, but I am wondering what would be a good upgrade. Grado's "retipping" policy would allow me to trade in the Sonata and buy a Statement Reference for about the same price as a new Shelter 501 (about $800). How do these cartridges differ in terms of sound? It appears that the 501 has lower compliance and weighs a little more than the Grado. Is this an issue with my arm and table? My current Grado tracks just fine at 1.5 grams VTF. By the way, my phono stage is a Ray Samuels XR-2, so I can accomodate a moving coil or the low output Grado no problem, so output or loading isn't a factor in my decision. My music choices are mainly jazz and 70's rock. I have never had a true moving coil cartridge, hence my interest in the Shelter! But the Grado upgrade (retip) policy sure seems like a good deal. Any help in this decision would be appreciated. Thanks!
rockinrobin

Showing 2 responses by dougdeacon

Agree with the others. A Shelter would give you the more extended highs you're after while retaining the bass and midrange heft you have now. The stylus profile alone compared to the Grado will do that.

Benz is another possibility in a mid-compliance cartridge.

If you do go with a Shelter or other low compliance cartridge on an RB-250, Twl's HIFI mod is a cheap, easy and utterly mandatory mod. You won't believe your ears. Check it out here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1032024188&read&keyw&zztonearm+tweak
Agree with Stevecham. A Shelter on an unmodded RB-250 will work fine. It will sound better with Twl's mod, but if you don't want to do it for some reason no harm will be done You'll just miss out on the most that this combo can do.