Settings on Arcam AVR300

I just cant seem to get the right musical settings on this receiver. Please help - Its my first foray into higher end stuff. Ive tried all the different settings - Large/Small for the fronts, analog, Digital - HELP !!!! I also have an Arcam cd93 player connected to the cd input of the AVR300 analog in. Its confusing to me - All I want to do is get the music right like I had with my old Rotel Receiver
I listen to mostly adult rock (Eagles, Floyd) Country and Singers (Dion, Streisand, Carey) The receiver sounds too bright and treble happy even with the bass at max +6db and treble at -3db. My speakers are Def tech bp7002 with powered subd. THANKS
rz2020

Showing 1 response by ronreid

I purchased the Arcam 300 8 months ago as the first major upgrade to my system. I agree as my intial impression was that at times the highs were high and bright was a word I was familar. If I had to explain why, I think much of this was due to the associated equipment I was using at that time. As such, I began to look to purchase other system upgrades with a "neutral" type of sound.

I ended up replacing a Denon 2900 universal player with a modified (Upgrade Co) Marantz 9600 universal player and replacing Axiom bookshelf speakers (often labled as bright) to Dali Helicon 400 speakers.

At the time I purchased the Dali's, the dealer stressed the need to use complimentary cables. I was skeptical due to the cost$, but was allowed to demo a pair of biwired Cardas Neutral Reference cables for my mains. I'm not a cable pundit, but do believe that there was a positive difference when using these cables. Subsequently I purchased these Cardas cables as well as the main speaker interconnects.

Looking back and I may be totally off base with my choice of equipement, I think that trying to find complimentary equipement was the key to attaining a better sound.