Separate subs for music and HT/surround

My stereo setup is comprised of Ayre 5/20 series digital hub, preamp and amp that drive KEF Ref 1s through a passive Marchand high-pass filter. For HT and surround, LR side and rear surround from an SP3 go to NAD Class D amps that drive LS50s. The SP3 receives HDMI from an Ayre DX-5 DSD, and its front LR output goes to a balanced by-pass input of the KX-5/20. I have two Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers that provide acoustic room correction, two HGS-10 subs, and two HGS-15 subs.

Question: Should I use one SMS-1 with the two HGS-10s for stereo and the other SMS-1 with the two HGS-15s for HT and surround music? I realize there are advocates for using 4 subs, and I could daisy-chain the SMS-1s, but separating the SMS-1s seems a neat way to keep stereo separate from HT.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 1 response by kren0006

I don't have a separate music room, so my main music system is right in the family room with my home theater/general TV watching setup that my kids are using all the time.

But the music and HT systems are completely separate (electronics, speakers, subs) and kids not allowed to touch the music stuff.

Regarding subs, I use a REL S5 for music and unwilling to each time HT/Tv being watched by me or family to disconnect/reconnect the sub from my integrated amp to my receiver behind the rack, so I prefer to just use an older Energy sub that I had for HT, and it does a fine job there.

This way never have to reconnect anything, kids are clear on what they can operate and what they cannot, and I get highest quality music in general area of house.

Would 2 subs perhaps sound better for either application?  Maybe, but unwilling to go to that amount of effort when listening time is already short in a busy work/family/spouse filled week.