Separate DAC or continue using the Oppo UDP-205

Hello,

I have all my music on a hard drive in FLAC.
I am a using Sonos Connect, Optically connected to the Oppo. From the Oppo (RCA'S out) to a Primaluna Dialogue     Preamp. The Amps are 2 Primaluna HP's. Martin Logan Theos speakers. I have rolled mostly all the tubes, and absolutely love the sound. Family and friends also love the sound.

My question is, Should I continue going through the Oppo, or should I get a separate DAC? Nothing to crazy in price.
I have seen these things go for thousands, and thats fine if you can swing it. I was thinking around a $1000.
But, would it change the sound or would it pretty much be the same? In other words, is the Oppo that good at what it does?

Since we are always tweaking our systems to make them sound better, I thought I would ask all of you first, before calling the salesman. I also have thought about  getting a turntable. But I gave away all my albums many years ago.
Buying a turntable, buying albums, taking care of all that stuff. Not really what I had in mind. I would like to keep it fun, and simple.

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan
Our Club, AZAVClub.com held a blind DAC shootout last month
and the results of the 20+ people who attended are posted to the site.

I too have the 205, and was ready to buy a $2,000 DAC for an upgrade.
After listening to the 10 DACs we tested, I have an entirely new plan.

Innous. $4,200 new. Looking for a used one. 

As your first responder warned, twenty answers all different.
Good luck. 
The Oppo 205 has the ESS 9038 Pro, their flagship DAC. It is a very good DAC. I had my 205 modded at Modwright with the full tube stage mods and separate power supply. It sounds incredible. It’s worth keeping and upgrading. My opinion of course.
I have seen a couple of Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ going for around $1100 here and on US Audio Mart. Retails for $2k new. Fantastic DAC with tons of configurable features, nice OLED screen, 2 headphone amps for 2 SE or 1 balanced and has preamp in/outs to act as a good preamp as well. Finally, the footprint is 1U tall and 1/2 rack wide, so is very easy to integrate/find space for. The Brooklyn was met with rave reviews and IMO is one of the best DACs on the market for the money. The only one I have liked more is my PSAudio Directstream which retails for $6K and can be found second hand for $3-4k. Cheers!
Nobody here has mentioned that Oppo is compatible with Roon. In other words you could do without that Sonos altogether. Roon running on your computer can manage your music collection, streaming etc and you could simply use the Oppo as a Roon endpoint (playback device). 

Regarding the Oppo itself it looks good on paper, good DAC chips, great SNR, very detailed but it fails where all but the most expensive DACs succeed: tonal balance. However, in your case, pairing it with valves probably compensates to a certain extent for the lean, mean, colourless sound signature of the Oppo. 

I would upgrade the switched mode power supply in the Oppo - it makes a difference (the sound becomes a little bit more refined / rounded and there is more meat on the bones so to speak). Clones Audio and Oppomod do good ones and all you need to replace it is a screwdriver and a bit of courage. 

Then get Roon. The Oppo is quite sensitive to trash in the mains so just removing the Sonos from your mains ring will give you a small boost in sound / video quality.  

Keep it simple. The whole point of it all is to enjoy the music and you do. So why fix something that doesn't need fixing? Just make the most out of what you've got.