Sennheiser hd 650 vs hd700

Does anyone have a strongly held view on whether the 700 is worth 2x the 650? I will be using computer source thru a rega dac and rega ear. I know it is not twice as good, but given my tendency to buy things 20 per cent different. My plan b if I don't get the 700 is to get the 650 and wait on a deal for beyerdynamic t1s. Thanks.
emster

Showing 2 responses by rdavwhitaker

I have one of each - I've had the 650s for a couple years, and got the 700s a few months ago. I share Chadeffects' view that the 650s are a little dark, but I prefer that to overly bright headphones. I got the 700s because I had heard repeatedly that the 800s were very bright, and the 700s were a "toned down" variation. My personal view is that Sennheiser hit the sweet spot with the 700s. Very comfortable, beautifully balanced, transparent sound. Great imaging. In my view, definitely worth what they cost.

For those that care, I am running them off a Schiit Valhalla headphone amp connected to an Audio Research LS-27 preamp.
Well, Emster, there you have it. Six responses, and a clear consensus has emerged that headphone choices are highly subjective, dependent on associated equipment, and there's no accounting for taste. ;)

I think the moral to the story is that you are best advised to purchase from a dealer (online or otherwise)!that permits returns, and let your own ears be the judge.

Best of luck.