Sealed Loudspeakers?

I am wondering, what are the choices as to NEW speakers if one has a preference for sealed (acoustic-suspension) speakers, instead of the rather more usual, bass-reflex type?

Thanks,
Huard
huard

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

One reason I would never get rid of my gorgeous Avalon Ascent MKII's.Sealed 175 lb box,with two outboard 55lb crossovers.Very easy load(6 ohm),and amazing detail retrieval and timbres.Yes,I have added a big REL sub,as I have these speakers 8-9 feet out into room,and can use a drop of low end slam/depth,but the integration is flawless.
I truly believe the partnering electronics of the day was not up to this "classic" speakers performance match.Even the A/C power conditions are dramatically revealed with this wonderful design,which sounds a bit like a big Magico Mini.Every bit as revealing as the new(very nice,btw)Avalons,but better midbass,and lower midrange.It's the BIG external crossovers that proved to not have the best WAF,but the speakers(and crossovers,to me,anyway)are absolutely gorgeous in my tropical olivewood.
These appear once in a long while on the used market,and are a steal,at the usual asking price.Build quality is in the "heirloom" range.
Best!