SANSUI AU-719 Gets Really Hot?

I recently acquired a Sansui AU-719 which gets extremely hot. I have other Sansui's (AU-417, AU-517, AU-717, AU-7700, Etc.) and though they do get warm, none of them get anywhere near as hot as the AU-719. I listened to it for about 6 or 7 hours the other day (I only listen to vinyl) and as happens from time to time, after a few beer, the volume tends to go up:) Still never exceeded half volume and it was more than loud enough (think the neighbours hate me now), yet it got extremely hot, so hot in fact, that I could not keep a finger on it for more than a second or two for fear of actually getting burned. If this is normal for this model then I can hook up a small fan near it to help dissipate the heat. Today I've had it on for about 2 hours at just less than 1/4 volume and it is a bit warm but by far not too hot. I tried researching this on line and found two opposing points of view, some said it is normal while others said that the excessive heat probably indicates a problem which if it not fixed, could fry the amp. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks;
Denny
recordman34

Showing 3 responses by stanwal

I believe Gbart is correct, I use to have Sansui amps, 919, AU-X1 that I remember and they did not get hot. The only other time an amp will get this hot is driving a load that it is not really up to and the Sansui amps were quite powerful for their day. If you have driven the same speakers to similar volumes with other amps with no problems then you should have it looked at. A good idea in any case with an amp this age.
I checked with a 1979 isssue of HI -Fi Choice. The 719 was not tested but the 417 would produce 80 watts at 8 ohms tested driving one channel only it was 100/150/171 at 8/4/2 ohms. Burst power was 130/211/300. For the 919 the numbers were 145/210/275 and burst power 164/314/543. The 719 should be between these closer to the 919 than the 417. Burst power is a measure of short term capability that is relevant to performance on music which generaly does not call for constant full power. These numbers make me think that yours is not working properly.
What they indicate is that the amp should have no trouble driving 4 or even 2 ohm loads. Amps that have trouble with lower impedence loads see their power stay the same or decrease as the impedence falls. The Sansui's rise in power indicate that they should handle lower impedence loads. The OP's last post seems to be vindication enough for my position. The smaller 417 has no trouble, the 719 does; ergo the 719 is not opperating properly.