SACD Demo

Went to Denver two weeks ago to hear an Accuphase demo system playing SACDs. I went wanting/expecting to be impressed. Etalon speakers, sound treated room, top end Accuphase amp, pre and SACD players. Lots of fellow audiophiles sitting around going owww ya. After moving from chair to chair and keeping my mouth shut and ears open for 30 minutes I said out loud the sound was indistict, bloted, and lacking highend detail. All of a sudden several of the other listeners declared they too had reservations. Actually I still don't believe what I heard. It's tough listening in an alien room through an entire system that your not familiar with so I will try again sometime at a different store/room etc. What concerns me is the number of golden ears that were ready to accept what I was hearing as the best they had ever heard. I have a system that most of you would rank as good but not great Sonic Frontiers SFD2M2/Line3/Krell KSA200s/Thiel 3.6s, and it was clearly better then what I heard. I really want the new technology to be better, I'm ready to buy but demo's can really dance on your head.
keis
Too many variables, Keis. You've got to hear it in your own system or one with which you're very familiar before you can really make any judgments. A modest system (and I wouldn't term yours as modest) that is properly set up and matched in a properly treated room can easily outperform a more expensive one that is mismatched or in a poor listening environment. FWIW, I got a Sony SCD777ES SACD player, which isn't a bad player but wasn't what I was used to in the way of resolution. It did clearly demonstrate to my satisfaction in my system the superiority of SACD over CD on the same discs. I have since had the unit modified by Jerry Ozment of Audio Logic, whose dac I use, to replace the entire analog side of the Sony with the tubed Audio Logic analog section (including the power supply--another #%!*# power supply and cord) and am VERY pleased with the results--now the player is a much more alive, dynamic, dimensional and high resolution player. Time will tell whether anyone will issue enough software to take advantage of the format; I'm not overly optimistic. I also have 24/96 discs, which also are quite an improvement over standard CD, even upsampled ones; I'm not sure yet about the 24/96 vs. SACD debate yet. And, while these developments are getting digital closer in many respects, I'm not giving up my turntable and vinyl...
I recently demoed a Sony SCD-1 in my system, It did not compare favorably with my Theta Gen Va/Data 3. The sound of the Sony playing standard CDs was more dynamic but too much in your face not delicate or musical I tired of listening to it. SACDs played on the Sony were also fatiguing. SACD may be the next greatest but the Sony is not the unit to prove it.
By comparision, I recently listened to a system, at someone´s home, and that system consisted of a Pass X-350, Pass Aleph P, Wilson system 6,Naim CDS II,SME 20 with Ortofon 7500. Did it sound good? Not at all!Or more correctly, hard to enjoy or evaluate. Conclusion made:Money isn´t enough, skills, knowledge and experience play an important role in our hobby. We always have some expectations when auditioning someting new. And sometimes, our expections are driven to high, which makes a foundation for disappointments. In the example above, I strongly belive that the main reason for the rather mediocre sound of that system, was a nearly acustically undampened listeningroom. I can not make that conclusion though, that the gear in that system was inferior.BTW, I have listen to a Sony SCD-777ES in another system, in an acustically treated room N.B., and that system sounded much better,altough it costed a fraction of what the above system costed.Another conclusion made, all salesmen don´t have the skills or time needed ,but some do have them!
I am 1st and foremost a vinyl fan but have quite a CD collection and and have tried to maximize that format. I drive Eidelon speakers with Pass Aleph 1.2 mono's with XLO limited edition interconnects and speaker cables and previously had a Theta Jade transport and Gen V DAC that I recently replaced with dCS Delius and Purcell which upsamples to 24/192. The sonics were superior to the Theta and quite good. On a whim and thanx to a great deal on Audiogon I purchased a Sony 777 Sacd player and in my particular configuration the SACD sounds fabulous, arguably as good as vinyl on a very good turntable, arm and cart. I must say I was surprised, pleasantly so. But even more amazing was the regular CD playback on the 777, as good or better then the dCS upsampled material. I actually like the 777 better to the extent I'm selling the Delius and Purcell. I went into this endeavor with no expectations, high or low and objectively find the Sony an extraordinary product, especially given the 777 has been reduced from $3500 to $2500. I have a Basis 2500 TT, Graham 2 arm and Miyabi cart with a Klyne phono pre, and the SACD is unequivocally right there, and the regular CD playback is as good or better than the $13000 upsampled dCS gear. Go figure. I'm cautiously optimistic about the SACD format, hoping it won't go the way of Beta, but at the price is definitely worth serious consideration considering the , in my opinion, astounding sonic benefits.