?'s about quality of audiophile recordings

I have a fairly "hi-end" resolving system comprised of Maggie 1.6, McCormack amp, etc., and I often do NOT hear the benefits of Mo-Fi, AcousTech, and such remastered reissued recordings. I am talking both LP and CD. My source components are Jolida Cd player and Well Tempered turntable. Preamps are EAR 834p and a hot rodded passive.

I recently purchased some of these audiophile remasters and compared them to my stock recordings. Call me crazy, but the stock recording sounds better. Typically the audiophile remasters sound thin, recessed, and veiled.

Any thoughts to the why? Have I fallen victim to marketing hype, the always "New and improved"?

R.
red2

Showing 1 response by ellery911

I don't know what to tell you...I did an A/B/C on my old system of the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil"...this was done with a neighbor that I borrowed the original disc (Hot Rocks I think). He is definitely NOT an audiophile and thinks what I have into my system is crazy...he usually uses a 20 y/o Pioneer el cheapo receiver and mismatched speakers. Anyhow...from the original disc to the Best of the Rolling Stones (not sure of the title...but the one that was remastered and all) there was a definite audible difference. Going from the remastered disc to the SACD "Sympathy for the Devil" single (the one with the original version + remixes by other bands) and once again, there was about the same level of improvement.

We went from worst to best, best to worst and it was obvious to both of us. Now I have to admit that this is just one song, but being able to listen to it in 3 different formats (hence the A/B/C instead of just A/B) showed the capabilities of technology as far as I'm concerned.

Will this hold true for all remasters? Well...I would have to say that it would be hard for me to give any semblance of an educated answer on that as I have no experience on them, but perhaps other people here can state their experiences with a specific disc...I wouldn't doubt that there are some that people prefer the original to...this will be an interesting thread if it catches on...good post.

Ellery