Rowland 625

Has anyone got their hands on the new Jeff Rowland 625. I know they've been displayed on shows like Rocky Mountain but I'm keen to have feedbsck how this new amps compare with previous models. I've seen the new website and they've been been advertising on magazine, looks solidly built like all Rowland amps!
I've got Rowland 501's with a pair of PC1 together with the Synergy IIi. My dealer has not got a confirmed date for delivery.
dtanclim

Showing 11 responses by clavil

by the way I heard dCS Puccini + Clock, Rowland Criterion + 312 on Magnepan 1,7 ... huge resolution, I have never heard the space where the recording sessions has taken place like this before ... I was shocked ...

I hope the 625 is really that good, I don't like the idea of being able to prepare my eggs & bacon on it for breakfast ;-)
I have heard the Corus coupled with the 312 : excellent but I couldn't make a direct comparation with the Criterion or the Capri. It seems that it's the same that the Criterion but without the battery part.

My dealer already sold two !! ... one buyer had a AR Ref 3 and replaced it with the Corus ... the other one I don't know

question about the 625 . is it making noise when switching on or of ?

yes the price in Europe are just disgusting !
Criterion in Swiss francs 27'000 .- yes it's completely crazy
Corus 16'500 .-
1 swiss franc = 1.05 $
it would also be fascinating to have an oportunity to compare the Criterion to FM Acoustic and Viola !
Dcstep I don't understand, you mean you have heard Avalon latest speakers (Avalon Time?) driven by the 302 and the 625 and that youcould compare ?

thanks
mmmhhh I don't have the 312 I have just heard it a lot in combination with the Corus or Criterion on diferent loudspeakers. By the way it is quite power cable sensitve. I have myself the 501 + PFC-1 and before buying I do a lot a blind tasting oups sorry that's for french wine ;-) no I wanted to say blind hearings.
I will have the opportunity to compare both side by side next month ...

looking forward ;-)
Hi Optimus

there is an incompatibility problem with the cables I just purchased and the 625 ... nevertheless I will try to compare the 625 to the 312 with a set of Cardas Clear.

The 312 set up properly, with the right spikes (there are huge sound differences between spikes & spikes), the right power cable and the rest of the fine tuning in combination with Corus preamp., Puccini dCS & clock, is absolutely terrific and makes wonder either on Avalon or Magnepan speakers.

Of course after the very intersting post of Guido I am very curious to discover the 625.

Husk,

If I understand correctly you want to use either 625 or 925 with Magico Q5 ?
Capuccino

I understand perfectly and personnally I have the impression that only a few people in High End scene and especially dealers are not able / don't want ?
to get all the potential out of the elements.

I have heard the 312 sounding amazingly with special spikes, with custom made power and speakers cables. Now my dealer says me that the 625 doesn't accept these cables, so that I wil have to compare the 625 to the 312 using standart Cardas Clear ... let's see and hear.

yesterday I could "i fine" find some time to compare brievly the 625 and the 312

I took the excellent Cd (very plastic and incredibly colourful) of Mahler Symphony n° 6 made by Acousense and I drove to my dealer's (his name is Peter) studio. I used only 1st and 4th movement of the symphony, the most complicated regarding the structure and instrumentation with quite a few demanding tutti for the system where even a big hammer is being used ... by the way incredible masterwork

I started hearing the system how it was built:
dCS Puccini +clock
Corus + 312
Avalon Ascendant
all cables custom made

I heard quite a bit of the fist and fourth mov. ... no surprise I know the system, I just thought one more time it's incredible what Peter is getting out of these 2 either modest loudspeakers!

He told me as we had discussed on the phone that the 625 doesn't work properly with his custom made loudspeakers cables. I asked for an example, he told me that on soprano voices at quite loud volume, it could happen that some distortion appears, I asked why, he couldn't give me an answer and just told me that he didn't have this problem either with Pass Lab, Ayre & some other brands he is selling.

So we had to take his loudspeakers cables out and to install the Cardas Clear ones ( by the way I think product of the year in TAS ... but I am not sure) ...
result ? the 3D imploded litterally, the music lost intensity, colour ...
I have been making my way trough the cables starting with XLO PR O650, going to NBS Monitor III & IV and than Active II, trying quite a few ones beside ... so that I know that Cardas Clear are quite good starting "downstairs" ... but here ... frankly ... ? ...
it was a torture to hear to Mahler's 6th !

Well it didn't take long time, we decided to install the 625 which was warm and has more than 300 hours. As he hasn't developped yet the perfectly right spikes for the 625, he installed it on an custom-made acryl platform with spikes built in.

We switched the system on ...
yes a beautiful surprise!
I was quite surprised
-immediate expansion of the 3D
-smoother and very detailed trebble
-bass with more definition

now I would have like to have more time and to install again the 312 with the custom made loudspeakers cables in order to compare them directly to the 625 with Cardas Clear ...
I thought retrospectively there were playing at a similar level with maybe a little bit more drive and energy with the 312 ... but it's so difficult to compare seriously when it's not immediately one after this other...

so that this will be a next experience ...
M312 conversely still yields an overall larger image, which is quite understandable, given M312's higher power rating.

but in the 3D depth the 625 was clearly outperforming the 312 ...
at least in the configuration I have heard them