Revel Studio speaker w/Music Reference RM-200 amp?

Thanks to all of you tube-o-philes who responded to my earlier post!!!

I think some of your suggestions were right on the money. However, in speaking to my wife, she, (very unreasonably to my way of thinking!), wants me to pay off the new bedroom furniture and recarpet the house before I spend any more money on my stereo. Therefore, instead of having up to $5K to spend on a tube amp, I only have $2K (which is what I think I can get for my Mark Levinson No. 23). Therefore, I have looked around and have revised (downward, unfortunately) my budget for this new amp. The amp I figure might work best is the Music Reference RM-200. It has the bare minimum power (100W/ch.), and unfortunately has bias to set, however, it appears that the tubes are relatively few so this should be fairly easy to do. In addition, the tubes are relatively cheap and reputedly last quite awhile.

Therefore, my new question is:

Have any of you Revel Studio owners tried to use the Music Reference RM-200 amp?

(My Mark Levinson No. 23 has 200W/ch. and I am not sure if the 100W/ch. RM-200 will be enough amp for these speakers.)

If so, did it have enough power to really get to realistic sound levels? (I like to listen loud sometimes).

How was the sound? (Was the soundstaging and imaging tight?)

How was the bass response? (Did it get deep and tight enough?)

Again, thanks for your input! (It is so nice having the Audiogon members to discuss this with. Whatever did we do before Audiogon?!)
kurt_tank

Showing 2 responses by kurt_tank

Ok, here are the answers to your questions, Zaikesman.

Musical tastes are mostly rock (75%), but I like jazz as well (20%).
(Also orchestral music (5%), but not a lot.)

Listening room is 24'x16'x8'. I have the speakers on the long wall. The room is carpeted as well. I would say it was an average room as far as being "live" or "dead", accoustically.

Hopefully this will provide you, and others, with the information you need.

Thanks!
The more I investigate this though, the more I am convinced that I really need 200W/ch. @ 4 Ohms. In reading a review of the Studios, the reviewer said his VTL 100's did not quite cut it, as it did not have enough "head room". (He said that his 145W/ch. amp was better, and his 400W/ch. was best.)
Also, using the graphs in Robert Harley's Book, "The Complete Guide to High End Audio", I have calculated that 100W/ch. @ 8 ohms is just barely enough. My speakers have a average impedence of 4 ohms, (& a sensitively of 87db), so I really think I need the 200W/ch @ 4 ohms.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Now I need to find a really good tube amp with 200W/ch. (Which is possible, but just not with my budget of $2K.)

If anyone has any differing thoughts or actual experience with the RM-200 with the Studios, I would still love to hear from you.