Replacing my Krell FPB 600 amp with a tube amp

Im thinking of replacing my Krell FPB 600 amp with  tube amp . I really love the power and bass slam of the Krell FPB 600.Could i possibly find that with a tube amp? I was thinking of the ARC Ref 250 mono blocks. I am also using an ARC Ref 6 preamp. The only thing i can think of with this much power and bass slam would be the ARC Ref 750se. Any other suggestions and how would the ARC Ref 250s as compared to the Krell FPB 600. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Georgehifi
can you get more spread between the speakers, they are very close,

George - the Matrix 800 are a very unique design. They can be set up widely spaced apart and angled in, or close together and shooting straight down the room. Good results are achieved either way.
From the owners manual. (1.5 m or 60 inches) apart will work well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9rOuWdINRdBh9ED13

Abbey Road’s placement of the Matrix 800.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3hL46MQw2ilbHPRf1

There was mention of adding subs on this thread.

The Matrix 800 are a full range - All Out Assault design. A one time effort. They are like having 4 subs in the room - two high - two low. Each cancelling out the others waves; no standing waves. This was evidenced/shown through the Stereophile review (reviewers room) that was linked here. His room was small and the speakers disappeared. The woofer effect is easily tested by disconnecting one set of woofers.

Re: Krell Amp (this thread)

Dan designed his Krell amps around this speaker - I talked with him years ago. He had Matrix 800 in his personal space. B&W and Krell were in partnership - until Dan/Krell came out with their own speaker. This relationship is a big reason behind why Krell is an excellent match with Matrix B&W, and the reason that Dan/Krell came out with their own Krell designed B&W Bass Alignment Filter.

From the Stereophile link that Almarg posted earlier in this thread, there is one Figure 8, that shows the BAF performance with the stock factory BAF. I can tell you the Krell version betters the stock BAF. Would have liked to see those Krell B&W BAF measurements from Stereophile, but the Krell BAF was not available at the time of the review.