REL G2 or JL Audio F112 ..thoughts for 2 channel

I have a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M's floor standing speakers.....they go down to 40 hertz.......I was thinking about adding a sub in a room that is about 11' across and 20' deep with a 7' celing.....the speakers are on the short wall. The room is all ASC treated. I do not have all that much room on the side or in back due to Purist Audio cabeling......but it could be worked out. I have heard that the REL G2's would go well and yes I know they are both owned by Sumiko.....your thoughts
garebear

Showing 5 responses by lloydelee21

I have heard good things about REL-SF as well. Personally, i used the Velodyne DD-18 with SF to very good effect. Specs of sub are important...but i personally am not that patient nor that experienced at setup...and thus the Velodyne's extremely flexible and detailed (but intuitive) setup was very helpful in getting a great blend. good luck.
Garebear,

All subs require knowledgeable setup...generally done via a combination of 2 ways: physical placement and the crossover, phase, volume, etc of your subs controls.

Physical placement.
- you'll have to experiment...corners can emphasize bass which can be good or bad.
- Auralex subwoofer platform. stunningly good and relatively inexpensive...60 bucks. Cleans up bass from vibrating thru floorboards...you end up turning the bass louder, but at least its signal from cone...vs vibration thru your floorboards and furniture

Crossover, phase, etc.
- Not everyone cuts off their main speakers. With Cremona Ms...experiment both ways. I ran my Guarneris full range rather than cut off and ended up preferring it this way...mainly due to quality of crossover in my Velodyne
- Phase: They should be in phase (not out of phase). To tell, reverse the leads going into your sub (or your speakers)...keep playing around with the phase knob on sub til bass seems to be at its LEAST...so sub and speakers are OUT of phase with each other. Then reverse the speaker leads back...now you're IN phase.
- CDs: Amos Lee (close-miked guitar...great to seeing if your sub is 'bleeding' too high up into the upper bass/lower mids. Nirvana Unplugged...great for kick drum speed, naturalness. Ame: anything by these guys for deep, propulsive electronic house/deep bass

In addition to the above, Velodyne allows you 8 different bass frequencies and an equalizer to further tailor for 'nodes' in your room which accentuate or cancel out various frequencies...quite typical in rooms.

Not affiliated with Velodyne in anyway...just satisfied with them. Heard JLs superior by far, but the variability of the Velodyne hookup is helpful to someone like me who isnt an expert or techie.

Finally, as to 2 subs or one...the main reason is that having 2 sources of bass should allow you much better ability to smooth out bass response across the room. It is not about bass power per se, though that too can be improved. Its mainly frequency response smoothing throughout the room.

When you've got a room where you end up placing the sub very close to one seating area...then [sometimes] sitting elsewhere means you get very different bass response. Having 2 (ideally 4!) can help smooth this out. But not all of us have the room, funds...or the time to mess around with ideally setting up 2 subs. one can be tough enough.

hope that helps...good luck.
Garebear,

It aint easy...but the Velodyne actually has pretty much what you need internally...just hook it up to your TV. you've got 2 options...it comes with a microphone you place at your seating position...push a button, and it automatically EQs the sub to your room.

Or you can do it manually, by adjusting the equalizer using a remote control.

I do sense that JL Audios are better...but i like the ease of setup...which as you say, can be a royal PITA if you are not experienced.
Agree with Jb53 and Photon...sorry if my extensive comments made it seem tougher than it is. If you just focus on the setup for an hour or so...less if you are experienced...you'll get 70% of the way there, and can finetune from there to get to '100%'.
+1 for Velodyne. i have owned Velodynes for over 12 straight years, and enjoy my DD18.