Rega Planar 3 50th anniversary

Hello, this is my first post on this site. I’ve had various turntables over the years and currently own a Technics SL-1700 mk. 1. I’ve had it completely refurbished and I think it’s great. I can’t help being attracted to the 50th anniversary planar 3 with the looks and upgrades for the price. I’ve had an entry level pro-Ject manual belt driven table before. I’m curious if the planar 3 would be an upgrade from my Technics. Thanks — Matt

plasticspoon8

@goodlistening64 " While it does look and seem as though the motor is under the plinth - rather than part of it as the plinth is only 1" thick - there is no way of telling. In truth, no TT mfg provides schematics or information that determines what or how much of the motor is where"

another nonsensical statement. There is no turntable in the world that the location of the motor can not be determined. Every manufacturer clearly identifies motor type and its location. Your Technics is direct drive type turntable, the spindle of the platter sits directly on motor shaft. If you remove the platter you will be able to see the motor. Rega turntables have motors mounted in their plinths, after removing the platter the belt around the subplatter and the motor pulley can be clearly seen. On some Rega models, with glass platter, you do not have to remove it to see the platter driving mechanism.

Regarding VTA "myth",  why then Rega provides shims for VTA adjustments?

Must be to cater to the crowd of "delusionals" 🙄

@knock1 

Every manufacturer clearly identifies motor type and its location. Your Technics is direct drive type turntable, the spindle of the platter sits directly on motor shaft

Can you provide me with a motor type and location on the Rega P6? Do tell me where that information resides...perhaps you are better at finding info than I am?

I do not have a Technics turntable. 

@knock1 

Rega cartridges do not require shims. VTA is not an issue with Rega for that fact and the cartridge sits square to the record. 

Tell me what VTA does for you? How does a VTA setting create better sound?

@goodlistening64 "Rega cartridges do not require shims. VTA is not an issue with Rega for that fact and the cartridge sits square to the record." Again, why Rega has shims available for their tonearms?

"Can you provide me with a motor type and location on the Rega P6? Do tell me where that information resides...perhaps you are better at finding info than I am?" You can't be serious or you like to be argumentative!

From Rega web site: 

"

@knock1 

Nice video. Says nothing about location of/and or motor type. Doesn't even show the bottom of the plinth. If you can't get me the motor type, just say so. I own one, so without taking apart to find a part number and voiding the warranty, we both will remain in the dark on this issue. Unless you have an epiphany?

A shim would be used for high-profile cartridges, but not required for any Rega cartridge. Not sure how that makes the TT any less desirable considering the Rega sound is all inclusive, but I have seen many modified as well, usually with Hana or Sumiko carts.