Reel to Reel; Digital players ; & Turntables/LP's

There is always an ongoing discussion of analog versus digital. What I have been reading lately appears to indicate that digital is making major steps forward and moving away from CD’s and closing the gap: e.g., Bryston’s BDP 1 digital player.

I have a couple of questions. First how does the new technology in digital players compare with analog?

Second, I am old enough to have been around when reel to reel tape recorders were prevalent among audiophiles. I always thought these were far superior to turntables & LP’s in sound & convenience. You could increase sound quality by increasing the tape speed: e.g., 3¾, 7½, or 15 inches per second. Of course, you could only get sound quality that was equivalent to what you recorded from. You did not have to worry about LP records wearing out from play or getting a scratch; you could create compilations; and it was analog. You could also buy pre-recorded reels but they were not very common.

Any opinions with regard to turntables/LP’s versus reel to reel recording for quality and sound. Also, how does the new new digital player technology compare with analog.
hobbyist_and_reader

Showing 1 response by polk432

I recorded my albums to a Teac x2000r with dbx and without. Great sound especially using dbx, but not as good as the needle hitting the record on a Linn Sondek 12, less work too. I've owned 3 x2000r's but still prefer the sound of the TT. I've also gone from cd to rr, cassette to rr, rr to cassette and to cd-r for cars. It's still up to you what sound you like and your idea of work and fun. Happy listening.