Recommended receiver for HT

I plan to downsize from Bryston SP-3 processor and Parasound amps to a single receiver for HT. The speakers would be KEF T301 fronts; LS50s are side and rear; subs are pairs of Velodyne HGS-15s and HGS-10s with SMS-1 bass management. Sources are Cox TV, Ayre DX-5 DSD, and perhaps Oppo 205 or 105D. Stereo music is a separate setup. I’ve been out of the receiver market for decades, so I’m seeking recommendations for a used receiver at moderate cost.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Probably the closest receiver to your Bryston/Parasound sonic signature is the NAD, but realize that it may not be quite as refined or full or powerful.  Alternative would be to keep the Bryston SP3 and look for a nice 5 or 7 channel amp.  It will not be as good as the Parasound JC1s, but it will still be better than a receiver.  All the receivers have very small power supplies with compromised amp board sections and the quality of sound just is not there.

If you wanted to keep the Parasound sonic signature, you could always get a 5-channel A51 amp.   Or look at alternative, like a Krell Chorus 7200 or even an ATI amplifier.  Or go Class D and look at a Wyred 4 Sound or a Nord Acoustics amp.  Basically, there are many 5 to 7 channel amplifiers out there which will be much better than any receiver, but not as good as your JC1s.
Hello dbphd,

If you're going to use an Oppo 205 or 105D as a source, your problem is solved and you'll only need a 5 to 7 channel amp and some cables. You also won't need the Bryston SP3 or a separate receiver.
     Both Oppos have multiple ESS Saber surround sound dac chips that will decode up to 7.1 surround channels and send the analog outputs to up to 7.1 surround channel jacks on their back panels. The mains L+R/stereo outputs are a choice of either XLR balanced or RCA unbalanced jacks and all other channels, including the sub, are RCA unbalanced jacks.      
       You'll just need to connect these analog outputs directly to your choice of a good quality 5 to 7 channel amp, connect your speakers to the amp and configure each channel in the Oppo's Setup Menu in the Audio Processing  section using the Oppo's remote. 
      In the Audio Processing menu you're able to view all the surround channels and hear a white noise test tone played through each as you scroll through them. You configure each channel by setting the Size(large for no sub assistance and small for sub assistance), Distance (from 0-60 feet away from the listening seat) and Trim (volume from -10dB to +10dB).  
     When completed, you can scroll through each channel and level match either by ear or using an SPL meter. There's also a low-pass sub Crossover Frequency section with settings from 40 to 250 Hz in increments of 10 dB. 
     I have an Oppo 105 and use this setup in my 5.1 ht system with all class D amps; a pair of mono-blocks for the L+R mains, a bridged stereo for the center and a stereo for the rear surrounds with the four passive 10" subs powered by a separate 1K watt class AB amp.
      I was also looking to streamline and removed a separate preamp with a HT bypass switch and a Parasound AVC-2500 5.1 surround sound processor from my system.  My whole 5.1 audio system was significantly streamlined and I actually perceive it as sounding considerably better using just the Oppo with directly connected amps. I think you'll likely achieve at least equally good streamlining and performance results with your system.

Tim
dbphd:
"The only thing that gives me pause about a receiver is that I do enjoy opera on Blu-ray, and, of course, Legends of Jazz, but that might be done by the DX-5 DSD to the stereo setup-- video goes directly to the projector from the disc player."

dbphd,

I forgot to mention an option you have for better quality sound on your Blu-ray music discs.  You can use a very high quality stereo, or pair of mono-block,  class D amps for the L+R front mains/stereo speakers and a separate 3 to 5 channel good class D amp for the center and 2-4 surround channels.  This would increase the sound quality not only on your Blu-ray music discs but also increase the sound quality on all other discs and ht sources played.  
     All the class D amps are a fraction of the size and weight of your JC-1 monos and run no hotter than tepid, so you'd still be streamlining and you could always safely tuck these away out of view if you prefer.
     Several professional reviewers have claimed some of the pricier class D amps provide the best sq they've heard, regardless of amp type and price. Some are even utilizing the new GaN transistors that are much faster switching from on/off than the typical FETs and eliminate dead time for exceptionally accurate and high quality performance and.  I don't know your budget or interest in exploring how good class D can perform but it's just another available option.

Tim   

I think I've decided to try the pair of Parasound A 23s with KEF LS50s in 4.1 with or without the Bryston SP-3, using Cox TV and the Oppo 105D or 205 as sources.  I already have all the pieces for the proposed setup.  If I'm satisfied with the A 23 for front LR, I can buy another A 23 for rear surround. 
Hello dbphd,

I thought since you have all the ingredients for a high quality HT system, an Oppo,KEF 204/2c center, a pair of KEFT301 as mains, four KEF LS50s for side and rear surrounds, two 15"subs, two 10" subs and an SMS-1 sub controller, you'd be going for something a bit more ambitious like a 7.4 or at least a 5.4 system.  All you need is a bit more amplification.
     I know you're looking to downsize but are you sure you want to downsize the fun, too?  Isn't going from three JC-1s to a pair of A23s downsizing enough?  Having your four Velodyne subs configured in a distributed bass array will sound awesome for movies, music DVDs and tv.  Adding the full complement of KEFs to the solid bass foundation will just nudge it into sublime.

Your choice,
     Tim