Recommendations for modest budget

2 years ago I bought an OLED and at the time paired it with an LG SJ9 sound bar due to space constraints.  Now I have a space that could easily hold any size 5.1 system so I'm looking to upgrade.  Trying to keep the budget modest, let's say $2k (not firm).  Any recommendations on where to start searching would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not expecting top of the line equipment with this budget but I would like something that's a substantial improvement over the sound bar.  Thanks!
128x128mlenow

Showing 1 response by kren0006

Good idea to upgrade from sound bar.

I really like Marantz receivers, and your best value is buying last year’s model at 60% of retail when the new model comes out. I got the SR5012 for $600 (down from $1k) when the 5013 was announced. You may be able to now get the 5013 for a similar amount since I believe the 5014 is announced. The nice thing about these receivers (not that others don’t as well) but they do great with latest HT stuff but also have nice music streamers for 2ch audio via Tidal/Spotify/Qobuzz etc.

For speakers, maybe aim to spend about $300-400 on a sub and $1k-1.1k on the remaining speakers (left, right, center, rear surrounds for a 5.1 system, couple pairs of rears if you want 7.1). Of these, the L, R, and center are the most important, and I’d devote at least $800-900 of the $1k to those three, with the remaining $100-200 spread across the 2 or 4 rear surround speakers.

Some brands to look at for the three front speakers in that price range: NHT, PSB, Elac, lower end Martin Logan, Klipsch.

Not sure if SVS makes a $300-400 sub but if they do look at that. Sunfire SDS10 would do a nice job as well.

Others will differ but I think at this budget don't worry about cables much - keep it very cheap.  AmazonBasics-level stuff is fine and stock power cords.

Good luck.