Recommendations for headphones under $400?

Pretty simple
Good recommendation for a pair of headphones under $400, these could be lightly used so new prices are not the limit.
Mostly listen to rock music so must have a fair bass response
Presently using an old pair of Grado that are really not that comfortable to wear at all, and do not have decent bass.

Thank you
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 18 responses by uberwaltz

Last post I meant audio technica phone not akg.
Of course it could be that the headphone output of the h160 might not be good enough to drive the hifiman cans well enough. An option I also now have is an external headphone amp as the h160 has a true line out regardless of amp volume so I am covered in all eventualities
The H160 has fulfilled my expectations of basically being the same sq as the h300 and now able to use headphones.
So it is a keeper and the h300 and BAT are listed on here for sale.
Undecided on the hifiman cans though as of yet.
I also picked up a pair of akg ath-m50x at a very fair price and imho their sound is a little more defined with more emphasis on vocals, and just seem more well defined on separation of instruments.
Hours of listening ahead though...
Well for now I have taken up the offer of the h160 on home audition, expected to see it Friday or Saturday and will make decisions from there.
Personally I think it will likely be the right move and will put the h300 and the BAT up for sale.
Happy listening ahead indeed
@geoffkait
I truly believe you and agree totally, but it is the hassle of finding something comfortable to replace those foam pads.
I had an old pair of Sennheisers that had sat in a cupboard for 15 years or so and the foam pads disintegrated but I tried them anyway and was pretty impressed with the sq, not so much with the comfort level!
This was a few years ago and as they were only a $40 pair of cans they got tossed. And the experience forgotten about until you mentioned it to jar these foggy old grey cells
Who would have thought that such a simple quest would turn into such a gnarly affair!

Tim, yes it is a possibility for a qualified electronics engineer to perform, have not researched price yet but still an option.
The h160 may end up being the most sensible option as modifying the h300 might seriously deter potential future owners.
Still also seems a darn shame to have that doorstop of a BAT amp sitting idle too.
Maybe I just buy more speakers and make 3 or 4 systems!
Finally had a reply from Hegel themselves.
It seems that EVERY integrated they make or made has either a headphone out or a true line out EXCEPT the H300.
Go figure.........
@stringreen
Probably cannot disagree there but as have no way to get a line out signal to a dedicated headphone amp for now AND that just means another box and power supply, not too likely too happen right now, although I was going to go that route if the h300 would have played nicely!

@noble100
I do have an offer to trial a h160 from another member here in my own system and am most likely going to take them up on that, worst I would be out is shipping if there is not enough OOMPH for my Wilsons.

However I still am mulling over options.

1/ I still could have my h300 internally modified to convery the existing pre out to a full line out independant of music through the speakers.
2/ Buy the h160, sell the h300
3/ buy a dac/preamp to use with my BAT VK600SE that I still have lying around ( i know nice for it to just sit gathering dust!) and used to use with Exogal Comet plus until I found I wanted more than one analog input. Options here with 2 or more analog inputs are limited so far. Mytek Manhattan ( 3 to 3.5k used!), PS audio Stella Gain cell dac ($1700 new).

Lots to consider......
May just give the Hegel h160 a try as it definitely has a great built in headphone amp and majority of the features of the 300 although down in power from 250w to 150w per channel.
However with the 300 i have rarely ventured above 50 on the volume for my listening levels and I really do like what I hear so more of the same vein might work well with the bonus of the headphone amp built in...which obviously the 300 should have had right from the start!
Actually full source list
is 2 digital and 2 analog so yea i needed some way to get the signal out of the hegel to headphones
quite an omission on the manufacturers part but seems they have "learned" as all later hegel integrated have a headphone socket.
Have to regroup and decide what is best plan to go forward
Thanks to all for their input
@noble100 
Unfortunately that is exactly what it says, a DAC loop only.
It would work if all I had was a digital input to the Hegel but it will not work with any of the 3 analog inputs I have.
There was a thread on the very subject back in 2016 with someone having exact same issue.

Maybe the Norwegian designers had not drunk enough beer before thinking this one through.

Yes it is becoming a deal breaker....
Yes I knew no headphone jack but as stated I wrongly assumed the pre outs would do the job
@freediver 
That was EXACTLY my assumption too which is why I was not too worried that it had no headphone jack.
However it does not, anything connected to the pre out is subject to the volume pot level BUT the music is still conveyed via the speaker terminals.
It would need a speaker off option or the pre outs changing internally to line outs.
So now I have a new problem that makes me think I must be missing something but if there are any Hegel H300 owners here maybe they can chime in.
I am now using a Hegel H300 integrated for my system and this does not have a headphone socket.
No problem I thought I will just connect a headphone amp to the pre outs of this amp.
However Hegel appear to have designed this unit so that when you mute the music through the speakers it also mutes the output to the pre outs.
This sort of defeats the object of my usage unless anybody knows a way around this.
I have emailed Hegel themselves but as of yet still awaiting their reply.
I did buy a pair of the hifiman h400i and am awaiting delivery
Hopefully this will do the job!
@freediver 
They are definitely well within budget!
Quick eBay search shows $210 new and $150 preowned.
Research time......
@noble100
Has been a couple of recommendations for the Oppo but only ones I see remotely near my budget come from Hong Kong and not sure they can be trusted to be genuine?
Have to keep searching....
Yes I know there are LOTS of options at this pricepoint, that is part of the problem...lol.
I really do not know a great deal about headphones, by that I mean the names and models that are the best.
Sennheiser I remember having numerous pairs back in the 70,s and 80,s and thinking were excellent value for money at the time.
Good questions!
Wired for sure, will be used in a couple different systems
One is an old Linn Classik all in one with built in headphone output
Another will be from a Schiit Magni 2.