Recommendations for headphones under $400?

Pretty simple
Good recommendation for a pair of headphones under $400, these could be lightly used so new prices are not the limit.
Mostly listen to rock music so must have a fair bass response
Presently using an old pair of Grado that are really not that comfortable to wear at all, and do not have decent bass.

Thank you
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 1 response by geoffkait

To anyone using Grado SR type or the similar looking Sennheisers or really any headphones that employ foam ear pads, like say, Sennheiser 600s, what I found out recently was that foam pads are very messed. The sound is much much better simply taking all of the foam off. Not only is the foam material BAD for the sound but it makes the ear too far away from the transducer so you lose dynamics and volume. One wonders can these people even hear? What were they thinking?! I’d opine the sound is at least twice as good. Super good! You can see what I’m talking about right away if the foam pads on your headphones are removable. Then the trick is to find some way to make the surface of the headphones soft so they won’t kill your ears, I’m using gel strips right now that work fine and keep the distance from the ear to the transducer small. If someone has a better solution I’m all ears. Unbelievable! I’m not hot dogging you. 🌭