Re-biasing a CJ Premier 8

I am considering to get a used CJ Premier 8 amp, current tubes are 75%-50% of their life (12 6550 per side) and dealer recommends me to re-tube both units.

1.- Which are the best options considering a high price/performance ratio?

2.- Any word on domestic Svetlanas vs fying "c" options?

3.- What about trying KT90´s?

Thanks for your feedback.

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 5 responses by flg2001

Thanks to all for your feedback.

I have a quotation from CJ at about $650 per amp for a full retube set, those are GE if I am correct.

I also have a friend who can get Svets 6550c, which some say have the best sonic behaviour in terms of tonality and dynamics, this route will cost mearound $500 for both amps.

I currently have Sovteks 6550, sounding great to my ears but at the end of their operational life.

Fernando
Downunder -I´ve done that and really liked the sound of the Premier8, I was just wondering tube recommendations for the neccesary re-tubing this unit needs shortly.

Since the Avalons does not go that low, I think I will lean towards a more robust sounding tube, looks like the 6550 is such a ticket.

Fernando
CJ quote came from the company itself (they have been very supportive, kind and informative), again - it would be around 600 US per amp.

The Svet 6550c quote comes from www.sovetk.com, under Svetlana section, my friend has dealer pricing and kindly passing thru.

I am NOT including the driver set, which look OK.

I need to take a decision in the next 48 hours or so (flying to Detroit on Sunday from Mexico) - I have the feeling that I will run the "risk" of re-tubing and keep the Premiers 8 for me.

Fernando
I sold the amp a few years back - I partnered it with many preamos - the best option was a CJ Premier 11 - a little dark sounding - best sound came out from 16 expensive KT88 I got from the UK - (cant remember the make) but are quite famous.

Worked great with my previous Avalon Eclipse speakers.

Hope this helps