RB300 maintainance...

I noticed that on the most inner grooves especially on the extra long-playing records where the grooves come as close as possible to the record label that the sound greatly degrades and becomes too mushy and undetailed. It happens approximately 1.6" apart from record label. Before that the degradation seems to be unaudiable. The very beginning of the playable surface seems to be even too bright, but that's I believe an issue of a load impedance and can be easily resolved.
I checked the cartridge allignement and it seems to be at its maximum precision.
I assume that tonearm moves heavier towards the inner grooves and needs some attention.
Please help me out. My analogue setup is J.A.Michell GyroSE/Incognito-RB300/Lyra Helikon(Benz M.09 as backing up)

THANKS!
128x128marakanetz

Showing 1 response by pbb

Listen to cds or just the middle of lps. Another reason to hail the lps as the "superior medium", I guess. BTW, is it "analog" qua analog that sounds better or the lp storage/retrieval medium itself? Put another way: has anyone (aside from people in the biz which don't seem to bother with Agon and such) ever heard analog master tapes to determine whether the lack of impact noise lets the touted analog liquidity shine through? Insofar as your problem goes: once properly set-up, any tonearm describing an arc can only be optimized at two points on the record, the tracking error will always be greater towards the inner grooves. That's life I guess, although I am sure some wise guy/gal out there will have some new audio-gibberish explanation to set up the arm voodoo tweaking so that the laws of physics (and geometry in this instance) cease to apply and that their golden ear has assured them that they are on to something that no one, hitherto, believed possible. People have tried radial tracking arms to avoid this problem, causing other gremlins I understand,. The other solution is the use of a longer, or broadcast-type tonearm; these have not caught on have they. Like I said, tonearms can only do so much. Don't try to transcend the limits of those things, you'll only end-up feeling dejected and sad.