RB-300:help ;I think I'm wacked

This thing cracks me up. I just replaced my old immedia rpm arm with my rb-300. Now, I know it sounds good, I knew that. But yet it still blows my mind, enough to make me laugh uncontrollably, like when I eat chicken from the barbaque and it taste better than I can comprehend.
And here is more to laugh at. Not only are these things all over used, but the most expensive rega arm is 1000 bucks. ONLY 1000 bucks. Brand new retail.
O.K., forget about price. I would like your help in taking this thing to the limit. I have already done the following; rewired with a single run of cardas from cartridge directly to M. Yee phono parked right along side of table, added weight to the counter weight, not much, (about 50 percent of origional small weight), and backed off the spring pressure as to not have it touch or bind (can't have that, right?), and stuffed the arm with foam, and replaced the silicone insert at the headshell, you know the one, the one those origional cheesy wires come out of.
Does anyone know of any more succesful, or popular mods that have ever been done? Any different ones? Any experience with different wire? Nothing is too rediculas for me. I wonder if this arm might eventually become close to the best possible. Sound absurd?
basement

Showing 2 responses by twylie

OK, great thread; glad I found it. Here is my situation. I have just purchased a used Rega 25 that is coming shipped with a RB900 arm. After reading up on the mods for the 300 series arms (specifically the OL end stub and Expressimo Heavyweight) I am wondering if I should a) sell the 900 and mod a 250, pocketing the difference; b) mod the 900 with the OL and Expressimo Hweight; or c) sell the 900 and purchase an OL Silver...

Assuming I decide to mod the 900 (I may also purchase a 250 to mod for kicks), is there someplace in the states that I can purchase the OL stub and Expressimo weight?

Associated equipment:
Rega25
Grado Sonata (I know, I know, I may get hum, but previous owner had no issues)
Gold Aero DB-45
Classe CA151 or Unison Research Aria S2
Sonus Faber Concertos w/ sf stands (shot and sand filled)
Cabling is Transparent Super but getting ready to demo a Nordost setup.

Thanks for the insight.

-twylie
Twl,

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. As I continue to do more research on the subject, I keep coming back to the same solution you provided. I've already ordered my Heavyweight since I'll be able to use it with either the 900 or the Silver.

I believe that I will go in a few steps stages here to better understand what each change is doing. This will also let me keep my vinyl system up and running (since I'll add and mod before selling) without an immediate cash drain.

The table/arm/cartridge should show up late this week. I'll set it up and establish my baseline. My Heavyweight and stub should show up in a couple of weeks and give me an opportunity to assess the changes. I'll then add the HiFi mod, with a couple of weeks before the next change. Next, I'll move into a different cartridge, again giving myself a few weeks to get used to it. Once I feel I have a pretty good handle on that sound, I'll order a Silver and get everything dialed in. Once I'm in budget nirvana, I'll sell the stub structural mod, the stock 900, and the Sonata and use that cash to buy more records.

My phono stage has plenty of gain for a low output cartridge so I think I've got a lot of flexibility in cartridge selection.

I've been listening to a lot more vinyl lately and am really excited about starting new with some better quality equipment.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Trey