'Racks'. Important? Best bang for $$?

Hello, all you rack enthusiasts out there in Audioland. it has come to my attention, in pursuing ISOLATION devices, a rack can either add or detract from the sound one's gear is capable of producing... Wow!

I recently changed mine and went with something more esthetically pleasing, not knowing or even considering how it could affect the Sonics of a system! I found out the hard way. Things got worse. A lot worse! I imagined all sorts of issues and addressed them all, save the rack. .. and only by accident did I find it to be the source of the negative swing in sound quality to my system.

Being convinced, now, a good rack is an important & integral part of the 'system', I would like to prevail upon those of you who have found good quality racks, at affordable prices....

Should they have stone shelves, absorbant, wood, isolated, etc... Coupled or uncoupled?

I think several are in my future... one for preamp & amp. One for the sources, (3, no phono though), and another for proc & multi amp.... it would seem ..or some combination that supports those items. Access, cooling, and ease of assembly unless it/they come put together, are noteworthy too.

Sure would appreciate some other experiences here, if you please. Many thanks.
blindjim

Showing 1 response by ptt660

i can understand the importance of a quality rack in a high-end system to isolate floor borne vibrations such as nearby foot traffic. god knows i could use one since i currently have a "walmart special" rack. maybe i am wrong, but i would think that just as important is isolating vibrations from your speakers BEFORE they even reach your rack thru the floor. i have a platform under each of my speaker stands that i made from a combination of ceramic tiles, wood and rubber matting. works pretty well considering my neighbor below me in my apartment building has stopped complaining about the pounding bass! yipee!

now about upgrading that "walmart special".......ahhhhhh, that's a topic for another day.

regards,
Paul