"Giant Killer" The things legends are made of.

There is no way that I will ever be able to be cutting edge in this hobby. But there are some "timeless" pieces of gear that will stand the test of time for years to come.
What are the giant slayers that you have had. Help me please separate the myth from legends.
Like good music, is there any gear that will live forever?
brownsanandy
MY ACOUSTAT SPECTRA 33 is a giant against other giants like the magnepan 3.6 and martin logan cs series, it will those including quads...much larger and wider panels for planars and electrostats. My OHM walsh 2xo will kill any small to medium planars, electrostats and definitely conventional dynamic speakers such as JBL,POLK, INFINITY, NHT, ENERGY, ATHENAS AND THE LIKE. Eminent technology LFT 8a another giant killer which I own also, nothing it's price range can even get close to it. Any of my magnepans MGLR-1, .05 AND INCLUDING MY SRSLABS KLAYMAN SIGNATURE will blow away in imaging any dynamic speakers at major speaker stores costing hundreds more. The srslabs used to retail for $1200 went down to $400 til it was discontinued. With a sub, the klayman signatures are hard to beat in home theater set up at the price range, no $500-800 speaker go near it even $1000 dynamic speakers. The imaging is up there and lifelike similar to OHM'S radiation pattern.
this is what makes audio audio opinions. everthing that is mentioned to someone has brought them enjoyable sound. i believe the giant killer is now the ability to do room correction with the likes of a tact 2.2x or dsp ability in lyngdorf audio and in tact/boz gear. the room has the biggest influence on the sound regardless of all the mentioned equipment. if you have not heard a room corrected to hear what the system sounds like you are in for a real eye opener. this is my choice for giant killer as it can now awaken even the gear from the past to new levels of performance since we can now take the room problems that affect the sound and virtually eliminate them.

bill
When I started this thread I had no listening experience and while I hope to someday hear many of the suggested items I am glad to report that the Odyssey gear that came so highly recomended would have to be on my list of Giant Killers so far. I was very pleased with this first step toward Hi Fi.
Not only do these products sound great they are very well made with great care and attention to detail. The carefully selected components have a look and feel of the highest quality. With the 20 year warantee to boot, I will use my Odyssey gear to measure other modestly priced equipment.

Next to try is the Audio refinement CD and Intergrated combo. I will keep looking for a used bargain on these. Thanks to the audio club being started in Cleveland, I will finally be able to hear what others have put together.

Thanks for all the input, It has been great.
Andy
The legend in its own lifetime, LS3/5a.

B&W advertised their 6 series speakers having "Voice coils of God" its actually the LS3/5a's which posesses it. They have also been compared to the planars but not having the larger than life size presentation, which the planers have been criticised for. Chartwells 15 Ohm version are the most sought after LS3/5a's even today.
Placette Remote Volume Control ($1,000). For single source and with proper impedance matches between source and amp this passive preamplifier will be competitve with any preamplifier at any price. Mine replace a CAT SL1 -- a great preamplifier, but more than I needed in my system.