Question for Paradigm Studio 100 owners ...

I'm having some trouble getting the proper amount of bass from my 100v.2 speakers. A fellow inmate at the Asylum suggested moving them out from the rear wall. I was wondering if any of you have experienced increased bass from your Studio 100 or similar speaker after moving them away from the rear wall? Also, how far from the wall did you have to move them to get optimum sound? Any other suggestions re: speaker placement of the Studio 100s would be appreciated. Have a great holiday and thanks for the responses.

John B
oregon3

Showing 1 response by kirklin1

I too have the Studio 100's v.2 and I've been please with them - never forgetting their strengths (and their weaknesses). I run mine via a Parasound HCA-2200 (I use my Yamaha RX-Z1 as a pre-amp for the parasound). 250wpc - Parasound / 130wpc - RX-Z1. My listening room is 19x23x9. The 100's are 5.5 ft from the back and side walls. I sound treated throughout - especially the back 1/2 of the room. Between my 2 power sources, I noticed the more power, the more refined the bass. I also ran the 100's from a Yamaha M-80 - with good result, more analytical than the Parasound, but still acceptable. Do you by chance have a speaker size selector? IE: Small/Large? Are your speakers set to large? Have you applied any sound treatment(s)? Are you biwiring? Is there power going to both sets of cables (if so). Are your straps in tact if not? Is your bass control NOT turned down? These are just basics. I believe in starting simple, then gradually getting more technical.
For me though, volume is necessary for the studio 100's to come alive. Not so much 'loud,' but instead, turned-up (a pretty good thump!). 2nd, I've noticed the 100's need SPACE to breath. Without it, they can disappointing (IMHO). Power - running solely from the RX-Z1, they didn't sound as dynamic (the Yamaha too made them sound fantastic, but the parasound gave them the . . . punch!) - Then again, my mind may have been telling me that, being that I knew consciously, the Parasound was disconnected. :) In closing:
Power
Space
Volume
Connected properly
Operable bass control
Sound treatmet (of some sort - nothing fancy required)

Hope this helps