Question about Rotel RA-1520 pre out

So, I've been reflecting on my days with the Rotel RA-1520 integrated and matching RCD-1520 cd player.  I sold the pairing some time ago when I was still learning.  I had paired a new Yamaha A-S801 with new Kef LS50 speakers and hated it and wonder if maybe I didn't give either a fair chance having run both in for only a few hours?

I sold the Yamaha and kept the speakers and, tried the Rotel which I had bought secondhand. I just loved how smooth and easy it was to listen too but, somehow the timing was off in complex sections of classical music so, I sold the Rotel too.

My question is, at the time I didn't know what a preout was and, if I had have known and purchased a separate amp to power the speakers better, would this have made a difference to correct the issue I was having with the music getting muddled?

For now, I stream spotify through my headphones and, the speakers sit in the closet for the time being.  I would love to do them justice and, my thoughts are to audition a Naim Uniti Star for both streaming and cd.  I have my regret over relinquishing the RA-1520 and wonder if it would be worthwhile to re-purchase the Rotel set, add a wifi streamer (chromecast audio or comparable) and amp?

northcori

Showing 1 response by brylandgoodman

I use to use a Rotel RA-1520 myself. I did just as you are thinking about and used it as preamp into a Bryston 4bsst2. In my experience it is a better integrated than it was a preamp. Used only as a preamp I found the sound very bright and aggressive. I’m guessing the amp section is very smooth because it never sounded harsh as an integrated.  I think you will have better luck purchasing another integrated or seperates but I wouldn’t bank on the Rotel sounding good as a preamp.