Quad 2805 and room placement

I am interested in the 2805 but before I ask for a demo I would be grateful for advice on room placement.
I have a room about 23 feet square. A pillar restricts the listening area to about 2/3rds of this area, so the right hand speaker will be about 4 feet from the side wall and the left hand speaker roughly equidistant from the side walls.
I understand that distance from side walls does not greatly affect the Quad's performance. Am I right here?
A possible problem is, however, that I really cannot have the speakers more than 3 feet from the wall behind them. At present I have Linn Keltiks and have always had problems with "peaks" in the bass response in spite of adjusting the aktiv cards and the distance from the wall.
Will l have a similar problem with the Quads? Also, I don't really want damping material/curtaining behind the speakers.
Would be most interested to receive anyone's advice or comments.
If you can add advice on amplifiers (909,Quad 40 II or other) would be interested to hear it, though possibly I ought to start another thread for this question.
Regards
Brian
brianog

Showing 1 response by brianog

Hi everyone,
Many thanks for your response - most helpful comments.
Dave - my room is approximately 23 feet by 23 feet so it is a large room. The problem is that there is only one position for the loudspeakers - about 3 feet from the wall behind them. The door into the room, in the right hand side wall, is about four feet from the right hand corner, if you see what I mean, - when opened 90 degrees its edge will not be far from the right hand speaker.
By the way, Duke, I haven't bought them yet! Need to sell my present system first which may be difficult as the dealer no longer takes equipment in part exchange.
Anyway, your comments are really helpful.
I suppose I would really like the 2905's (if I can afford them) but they are really too big. Shame they do not make them in Classic finish - this would probably make them look smaller.
Regards. Any further comments gratefully received!
Brian