Problems with my Berning ZH270

Don´t know what happen with my Berning ZH270 amp. I have Merlin VSM-M speakers and Electrocompaniet CD player. The amp is very fast and clear, but also bright, bright, bright.
I have tried Cardas Golden Reference interconnects, Nordost SPM speaker cables (and much more wires), without any improve. I have just add a LA-100 Joule preamp and things are now better, but not enough.
Tube rolling?. Another amp?. Wich amp (I would like to keep my new Joule preamp). Thank you.
George
georgegonzalezzd5e2

Showing 1 response by oneprof

George, I have (almost) the identical system to yours--EMC I CD, Merlins', and Berning 270's, although I have two running as monoblocks. I tried Quattro FIl IC's--no go, too bright, IMO. Haven't tried SPM's, although some would say there is a Nordost 'house sound'. Using HMS Gran FInale IC's, now, much better. Will (Tubegroover) would probably say my speaker cables (stage3's) are still a little too bright :)( Hey Will, check your email).
Sorry to get off topic. However, the biggest improvement came when I moved my speakers, so I would support suggestions to that effect above. Also, as Khokugo asks, what was your previous amp? And do you have any of the mods on the Berning (ERS, etc.)? The Berning's reputation is for utter neutrality, not brightness. If you are comparing it to a traditional tube amp, it won't sound like that.