Preamp recommendations for a Butler TBD2250?

I have a Butler on its way to me and was wondering if anyone had any preamp recommendations.

I currently have both the Placette and the Sonic Euphoria.

I'm also considering the Modwright 9.0 and the Blueberry Xtreme.

The rest of my system is Ack Dac 2.0, ESP Concert Grand loudspeakers, and Ridge Street Audio Poeima PS3 interconnects.

Thanks!
passion4audio

Showing 2 responses by 213cobra

The Butler 2250 is rated at 250/250 watts output into 8 ohms, but the input sensitiviy on Butler's web site also is listed at 2V in yielding only 150 watts/channel out into 8 ohms. This is a relatively low voltage gain power amp and will require more gain than most linestages today have, to drive it to full power. This may be why some people find the sound of a Modwright pre "too polite" with the Butler amp. It looks like it requires well over 3V in to be driven to full power out.

So you need a preamp with a lot of gain. The Audiopax Model 5 has 12db and 23db gain options. The outstanding Melody 1688 preamp has 26db of gain. If you can find a Cary SLP50B, it is rated at 20db gain. The Modwright 9.0 maxes at 15 db gain and may not be enough to drive the Butler, depending on the output of your sources. You will certainly NOT be happy with a Placette passive or a TVC like Sonic Euphoria, unless your source has lots of drive and voltage.

BTW, I face the same issue with my Audiopax 88 power amps, which have only 18db of voltage gain. It's not a quality issue. But some of these innovative new architecture tube amps have very modest gain in the input sections. Of the preamps you mentioned, the Blueberry Extreme, at 20db gain, looks like a good place to start.

Phil
Hmmm...at the time of my post the Butler site listed the input sensitivity specs I quoted. If the current specs are correct, then a 15db gain preamp should be adequate, unless your sources are lower-than-average output. Certainly there would be a big difference in preamp/amp gain relationships between a given preamp into 1v sensitivity and another into 2v sensitivity. Another thing to consider is the Butler's solid-state-like input impedance of 47kOhm, unlike many tube amps which are maybe 10X that.

Phil