Preamp: Mcintosh vs Modwright?

I asked this on the Bryston board over at Audio Circle and was hoping that some of you Agoners may provide some help.

I am looking for a tube pre to go with my 14b (speakers are OB1's) and am looking at either a
Modwright SWL 9.0SE or a Mcintosh C220.
This would be moving my Musical Fidelity CD-Pre24 to handle just cd playback and no preamp duties.

Feature wise, the Mac is more than I will use (no turntable in my system), where as the Mod, being
only a linestage will probably be enough to handle any future components.

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two pre's with a Bryston amp?

If I go for the Modwright, I would get it with the SWL Tube Recificatication Upgrade.
Cost wise, this would make about $3000 for a new SWL vs $3300 for a new C220.
I realize on the used market (Agon), the Mac may command a slightly higher resale price than the Mod.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
hpower

Showing 1 response by machman12000

I can't compare the Mac to the Modwright since I never heard it with my system,...but I use a Modwright (tube rectified) with my Bryston 3bst. I think they work well together. I prefer an Amperex bugle boy to the stock Sovtek gz34 rectifier. The modwright is not the super sweet tubey sound that some preamps have, but it does take the glare off the Bryston and allows you the full impact of the solid Bryston bass. I bought mine at Underwood (via Agon=good price-worth checking them out). Hope this helps you a little.