Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho

Showing 1 response by ig316b

Have you thought about one of the McCormack Preamps? If you like the sound they produce you could have it upgraded also. I currently use a TLC-1 Deluxe driving a pair of DNA-1 Deluxe Golds with outstanding results. My deluxe is schedule to get the Platinum package sometime after the first of the year. These should be within your price range with some change to spare. A TLC with the new McCormack face plate appears on Agon from time to time.