Preamp for Krell S-550i

I bought a Krell S-550i integrated here on A’gon - to replace a Classe CA-2100 & BAT VK-30. Powering BFW N804s.
I’m not all that happy with my choice. While I like the bass control, detail and pace of the Krell, I miss the musicality, voice and dimension of my previous set up.  The Krell is just too hard and clinical for my ears.
I hope to have the funds to replace it soon, but I had an idea and want to know if it would even work, or work well. Could I run a tube preamp into the theatre by-pass inputs in the Krell, bypassing it’s preamp section. I believe the balanced input can be set to by-pass as well as the line-level.
Would this be a good solution? Or is it lipstick on a pig?
128x128steverrino
I applaud your honesty. A lot of people would have claimed their brilliance in such a purchase and then quietly sold the offending piece off in a few weeks. I have never owned a Krell integrated but back in the day when I had my Apogee speakers, and all the pundits told me that Krell was the best way to power those speakers (a notorious 2 ohm load but at least a flat 2 ohm load) so I got a Krell amp. Ouch! Not only pricey but hard on the ears. I never could tame it. I tried cables, a tube preamp, and while yes, it could power the Apogees, I did not want to turn the amp on and listen as it was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  There are a lot of Krell followers out there so perhaps they have better suggestions than mine, but my amp was just awful sounding. I sold it and as it was Krell it went rather quickly. Perhaps you might consider the same and go back to something like you had. Too often we do not realize how good our system is until we have taken it apart for something "better".
Good luck to you.