Pre/Pro vs. Denon AVR-4311CI under $2,000

The time has come to “update” my surround-sound preamp/processor. I want to get the most up-to-date unit having the latest codec’s, Audyssey EQ, HDMI 1.4, etc. The unit will NOT be used for music listening – only for watching movies. Amplification is not an issue either, as I currently have individual amps for every channel. I’ve read about the Denon 4311CI receiver having all the current “bells & whistles”, and the internal amplifiers can be shut off to run as a pre/pro only to eliminate feedback. I would prefer purchasing a separate surround-sound preamp/processor (instead of a receiver), but at a street price of $1,500 (MSRP $2,000), is there anything else out there that competes favorably with the Denon?
Ken
kgproperties

Showing 1 response by vicdamone

After comparing the sonic virtues of five different brands of audio / video receivers their sonic differences were noticeable but still too marginal considering the application. All the linear solid state models became congested and noticeably fatiguing when pushed past a certain point. If you have any interest in music video your going to push it, so having separate amplifiers is wise. Keep in mind it's expensive to produce a high quality multi channel preamplifier yet, IMO, most modern receivers do a good job.

In your case the brand of DAC's and room correction along with the other features, cost, and most importantly compatibility with the other components may become your deciding factor.