Power Supply for Digital Amp.

Much has been made of the fact that the H2O digital power amplifier has a robust "linear" power supply. Supposedly this is important. Manufacturer's info (a referenced review) on the CI Audio D200 amp states that all ICE and TriPath amps lack "split" power supplies and end up with "floating DC" on the outputs. For ICE, the H2O would have to be an exception. I checked my CarverPro ZR1600 amp, which is TriPath, and find that it has a good old fashoned (simple) +/- power supply, with 40,000mfd on each leg.

It seems to me that some marketing mumbo jumbo is going on about power supples in digital amps. Perhaps the amplification circuits are thought to be too hard for us to understand, so they talk about the power supply. What do you think?
eldartford

Showing 3 responses by joeylawn36111

*It seems to me that some marketing mumbo jumbo is going on about power supples in digital amps*

How about over-hyping the supplies in amps in general? After all, the purpose of a power supply in ANY piece of electronics is to convert AC into DC. As long as you just have plain DC that is properly regulated under load and keeps noise off the DC rails, whats the point in all this extra stuff? After all, DC is DC whether it comes from a Battery or a Power Supply. Yes, I know that you cannot make a power supply act as a battery perfectly, but you can come extremly close. Thats why I can't understand all the hype about power cord tweaks, etc., unless they filter out some of the line noise if you have it.

If, say, you need a constant +/-90V Supply for the output transistors, and your power supply is designed to deliver that voltage all the way up to full load, with very low noise, aren't you Done? 90VDC is 90VDC.
Good points there. I didn't know that.

I used to own a Ming-Da preamp with a tube rectifier that claimed that it was better than a solid-state one - at the time I read that, I was also skeptical. Just asking, but maybe the rectification waveform is not as abrupt (smoother and easier to filter) than a solid-state diode? Don't really know either - BUT I do know that you cannot simply replace the tube diode with a solid state one, as the transformer may burn up from too much current. I did this years ago when modding an old oscilloscope.
Eldartford, BTW - thanks for that reccomedation on a earlier post on the Behringer DEQ 2496. GREAT Equalizer.