Power Chords and Line Conditioning

Does a good power chord do the same thing as a line conditioner does? I hear in terms of performance that they both provide lower noise floors and with less hash and white noise. They tend to tighten up loose bass and smooth out the overall presentation of the signal. Just curious before I purchase either one of the two mentioned. Thanks
martice

Showing 1 response by whknopp0713

For the best value, I would start with the power conditioner. Years ago I brought home a Tice Power Block, and it took months to get my jaw back off the floor. Since then I have experimented with power cords from Shunyata, JPS and Synergistic. The only cord I kept was the JPS Power AC, which I use on my amp, plugged straight into the wall (on a separate circuit, too). The front end is plugged into the Tice with stock cords. The after market cords were usually an improvement over the same component plugged into the wall with stock cords, but no where near the improvement of the conditioner with stock cords. The after market cords plugged into the Tice generally make very little difference, and not always for the better. My experience is also that the after market cords that are affordable don't work nearly as well as the more expensive ones. But if you buy, say, 5 Black Mambas, you've spent much more than the cost of a good conditioner. With a good conditioner you treat the whole system (or front end at least) for about $1m. I like Tice (I bought Tice Solos for my theater and multiroom systems, too), but I would love to check out the PS Audio gear that everyone talks about. Good luck, be patient and try before you buy.