Possible Desktop Speakers?

I have been looking around a lot after my mini maggies thread to see if any speakers would be a better choice. Honestly, though I have no clue what to really look for in a speaker. So here I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum members. The room is mid/large (17 feet by 24 feet and its a rectangle with one corner chopped off). I have seen KEF LS50's, Peachtree D5, and Focal electra 1008 BE on the internet. Are any of these better then the mini maggies in a decently large room?
jkman
"Its an l shaped desk with a wall behind me and to my
right."

Got it. So u really don't need a massive amount of power, just a good match between amp and speakers. Some good advice from Al as usual.
Do you have any local brick and mortar hifi shops in your area? It sounds like you're trying to spend a boat load of money without ever listening to anything. You need to get out there and spend some time listening to some stuff. You're totally setting yourself up for failure and auditioning gear is so much fun.

Does your wife enjoy listening to music? I'm sure your kids do but it's not unreasonable that some people just don't like listening to music. I had a boss that told me he didn't like music. No big deal but it might help the forum guide you.

If you don't have any future upgrade plans, you should probably consider Al's suggestion of an integrated amp. There's some amazing choices out there for integrated amps. I get my newest one next week and its the best I've heard so far with my speakers. That's the deal though. I've heard it with my speakers and I loved it. That's when you break out the plastic or the checkbook.
Lowrider57 - thanks for the info!

donjr - don't worry I will defiantly go to a hifi shop. I am doing some ground work to know what to ask for. Otherwise I might hear something buy it and it just doesn't work well with my room or as the beginning of my mini Maggie thread pointed out complete overkill on parts. Thanks for your feedback.