Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov

Showing 3 responses by weisselk

With the 301, the first consideration is getting a deck in perfect mechanical working condition. These decks are old enough that even a unit found new in the box will need to be refurbished. As we are now the new US representative for Garrard/ Loricraft, Oswaldsmill Audio can supply factory restored 301 turntables from England. The second consideration is the plinth, which is extremely important. Our experience has shown slate to be an unparalleled material for making plinths. And finally the motor controller/power supply is a significant upgrade- OMA can supply the different models currently made by Garrard/Loricraft, as well as a new unit that will be custom made for OMA for the 301 and 401.
The platter would not be the first thing I would be looking at in setting up a 301 system.
Jonathan Weiss
Oswaldsmill Audio
The 301 has a fine platter and bearing, provided it is in top condition. If it is not, then the bearing needs to be replaced. The platter was well designed for the table, and would be the last thing I would recommend looking at, placing attention on a proper plinth (the 301 was not sold with a plinth anyway) and a power supply and motor controller (OMA will have an exclusive Garrard Loricraft model out shortly, which addresses issues beyond the scope of this thread.)

At a certain point, with this kind of topic, you invariably encounter the "Baby and the Bath Water Syndrome." Meaning, at what point do you stop replacing the components of your turntable with upmarket replacements, at which point you no longer have a Garrard 301 at all, as everything has been replaced but the badge. I can see why you would want to do that with a Lenco, for example (OMA makes a plinth system with Peter Reinder's steel plate for the Lenco, which gets rid of most of the turntable you started with) but the 301 is a great sounding classic which just needs servicing, and a great plinth to sound wonderfully. A power supply adds further refinement, but if you find yourself curious about the sound of a different platter after you get your 301 up and running, why not ask Steve Dobbins if he can let you try one of his new platters? He's a great guy and I'm sure he would oblige.

Jonathan Weiss
Oswaldsmillaudio.com
Hello Hartmut,

Was that the shootout I heard about where you used stacks of magazines, periodicals, etc, to support the armboards to get the height correct?

Jonathan